Chapter 27 The Pendant of Death

Lyse was not able to fully understand what was going on. He never thought that a ghost would be the first shocking information of the day, but it did prove to be the case. And he was talking to one, somehow. And this was not just any specter, but one of a godslayer, a member of Theurgy who knew his mother. His name was Maurice and supposedly was born and raised here in Pumavut. He also didn't think that the pendant of death would be in a place like this, and he could find it in such a way. It was bizarre for him to think about. But Fate does work in unconventional ways, most often. It is difficult to criticize something that had been so consistent so far.

But still, the thought of ghosts was chilling for him. You never hear good stories about them. Well, real stories. There are some tales that show some ghosts to be quite benevolent, helping a noble find the killer of his family or providing something to the hero that would otherwise be impossible. But from accounts of knights, they can be quite a difficult entity to deal with once they get violent. It was a coin toss what kind of ghost Lyse has stumbled upon.

"You can calm yourself, I'm not going to tear you apart," Maurice told him merrily. "Let's just have a nice little chat, and you'll be on your way. I can tell you've been quite busy. So, how has your mother been? And how did you find this place?"

"My mother told me this was the last place you were seen," He told him. Lyse was a bit hesitant to tell this man about his mother, but angering a ghost was lower on his priorities than disclosing information. "My mother, she's been . . . fine. Theurgy is being reassembled, starting with me I think. We're looking for the pendants and other members at the moment. But first, we have other business to handle."

"Other business?" the ghosts seemed unable to care less about all that he said. "Interesting. So what, they kidnapped someone? Wait, don't tell me, your girlfriend right? You seem like the lad who'd do something like that."

"No," Lyse said lowly. "My sister actually."

The smile on Maurice's face soured a bit. "Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. Then I guess you were looking for this then. Well, now is as good as a time as any. Take it, please. Almost surprised that Talin hasn't found it before, but I made sure they're still a mess since the war, right. Either way, you're crazy enough to get this far. Here's your complimentary kiss on the cheek."

Maurice tossed the necklace towards him. Lyse fumbled to catch it trying and failing to make it as delicate as possible. Lyse didn't know exactly what to expect when he touched it, but nothing did happen. The pendant around his neck did nothing as well. The pendant just glowed that faint purple glow. It was cold to the touch, much like the feel of Thanatos's hand around his arm. But there was also something slightly comforting to the pendant as well. Nowhere near the safety, he felt from the pendant of life, but something that made the darkness seem not as dark. When Lyse looked up, Maurice had a grave expression that studied him as if trying to predict a storm. After nothing happening, he gave a deep sigh and turned back to his throne.

"Well, the deed is done," he told Lyse. "The pendants are to be treasured, not to be handled lightly. They hold quite the power. Kept me tied to this world long enough to pass the message."

Lyse frowned. "Couldn't the message be a little less grim?"

Maurice gave him a sad chuckle. "I didn't choose the method. If we still had that damn book . . . I was afraid that some mage might crawl down here to take the damned thing, but luckily they're all confined to that island I suppose. That bastard Remmus really keeps them all on leashes doesn't he?"

"Who?" Lyse asked him, but he waved away the question.

"Doesn't matter, I suppose," he told him. "Just be glad that you're the one to find it. The pendants have the tendency to be lost or stolen a lot in the past. See this as my way of hiding in plain sight. Even if Talin knows of this location, they most likely would never try to get the thing. It might as well be a useless watch that kills anything around it it doesn't like. Bad history kid. Anyhow, before you go, can you do something for me? My dying wish, I suppose."