Chapter 37 Knights and Kings

26 years ago

"Tell me, James, are you fond of these battles."

The 12th royal legion. One of the twelve main forces captained by some of the best generals and captains the Liontari clan had to offer. They are a vast array of men. five hundred archers, each with long-range war bows powerful enough to puncture steel plate, and each man capable of shooting an apple from its branch. The most excellently trained cavalry, horses as fast as the winds and more fearless than the most veteran of man. Swordsmen, pikemen, rows upon rows on infantry 2 thousand strong, bearing the golden crest of a lion's head upon their shields and stamped into their armor. And not only, but a hundred of the finest knights can be found in these ranks. Each alone worth twenty of their own, possibly double that, even. Captains as brave as the most celebrated of heroes, generals more cunning than the craftiest trickster. All under the care and attention of one of the princes, Prince James Colton.

It wasn't his first run with his troop, and it most certainly will not be his last. It was almost mandatory that a prince may lead his own army into battle, bring glory to their name and their kingdom. This time, it would be his fifth victory. To whom, he didn't really care. They were a small kingdom just over the mountains that separated the clans from the outlands. They were similar in structure to the clans, mimicking their government style and even warrior class. They also utilize the power of Zoi to enhance their warriors. This connection came from the ancestral history that they shared once before. But they were a far cry from anything the Clans have developed, and this battle shall prove why. They have gotten word that a force will be pushing into the Pathulian valley to secure it. The force was about half that of their own, but several of these zoi users, Campione, they called them, would be among them. It will be interesting to see how their army shall fair paired up to one another.

That was the majority of the conversation, it seemed, amongst the captains and generals. Even his friend, Lupren, was highly interested in what James thought of the situation. But he could not find himself getting excited. He rarely ever joins the skirmishes. There was only one occasion that this had occurred when he was accompanying his sister to a meeting with their ambassador's just a year ago, and their troop was suddenly attacked at the mouth of this very valley. That had also been the incident that started this small conflict. And his sister did not take a liking to him taking up his sword and putting himself in danger. He can never help himself. It was such a rush to hold that blade, to charge into battle. It was a power uncontested to him and something few of his closest associates can really relate to. It was taught that enjoyment in the suffering of your enemy was ennobled. Yet, he found comfort, something cathartic sending a man on his back. A thrill, even when he had to kill someone he barely knows. And so far in his journey as the prince, he has found very few others who shared that enjoyment with him, and he silently searched the line of captains and men for such a person. At the very back of this caravan were scribes and artists, men and women who will pen his adventures. He looked there for him, but he was also absent from their company.

"Are you even listening to me, or am I better off talking to walls, my lord?" Lupren mockingly pouted.

"Forgive me, just trying to get a lay of the land."

"A lay of the land, eh?" he raised a confronting eyebrow. "We have already sent scouts to secure the location. Their army will be completely crushed under us. And whatever Campions they may summon."

"It takes a fool not to be careful," James warned him. "And I rather we have our chances sorely in our favor, not slightly. Not even a decent majority."

"Such carefulness will be the death of you," Lupren sighed. "For someone who wishes to rush into battle, you spend a lot of time thinking about things that may never happen."