Chapter 10 The Relic and the Hand

The bridge was a bit more than traumatizing. Even after another hour of walking the much preferred dark and damp tunnels, surrounded by silence and the occasional drip of water, it was very much clear that everyone could only really think about those things that slaughtered that group of knights within mere moments. As easily as stepping on an ant, it was too quick. Lyse knew right then that a fight including them would no doubt be unwinnable. That was most likely the intention. They had to avoid confrontation, and Lyse wished that this lesson was taught in a much less distressing method. He doubts any of them will have a good sleep for a long time. A very long time.

The silence among them was deafening and omnipresent. Lyse wanted anything, something to take their minds off of the previous trial, that bridge, and those invasive voices. So, almost an hour in, he turned to Elena.

"What is your sword, if I'm allowed to ask?" he tried to sound a little cheerful, but it was clear that it was not, in fact, genuine.

Still, Elena gratefully went along with his plea. "If you're referring to why it keeps switching blades, that is the enchantment placed upon it. My father made sure I trained in a lot of sword fighting techniques, even those of other countries, to master the blade. Let's just say it took quite a while to get a sword like this, though."

"Do you know anything about Dagmyre's sword?" Lyse asked her, and finally, some gears began to turn with newfound interest.

"Yeah, no doubt we'll be running into that asshole," Edlund said. "Seemed pretty keen on fighting too. But, I'm going, to be honest, I am kinda hoping so."

"If we're headed for the same relic, it may have to come down to a fight," Lyse agreed. "Can you tell us anything?"

She sighed. "Might as well. Funny what money can get you these days. His sword is a longsword enchanted with magic."

"Magic?" Lyse's eyes were a bit wide with care. "Like formal magic? From Torlak?"

Torlak, the kingdom of magic. Lyse has heard so many tales and myths about the place. Really, they all very well be true. It is an island nation covered in mists that hide it from navigators. It is a mystical place by nature and is home to many of the formal arts. It is true that what knights do can be referred to as being magic; no human without training can leap over walls or run faster than horses. But it's nothing compared to what he has heard that mages, true mages, are really capable of. And to have one enchant a sword is a huge deal. After the war nearly a decade and a half ago, Torlak had recalled all their mages to their nation, leaving most of this region of the world to their own devices. However, whenever there is a barrier, there will seem from which even the smallest drop of water may fall. And it fell within a ready bucket.

"The specific enchantment is pretty powerful," she told him. "Even more so than Gray's."

"More so?" Lyse repeated. "It must be something extraordinary."

She nodded, clutching her own blades as she spoke her next words. "His sword was enchanted to ignore defense. At will, he can make it slip through many forms of armor and other weapons. His blades can literally pass through any object unless he wants to cut it. And with a skilled hand like his, it's almost impossible to fight evenly, even if the very sea is with you always."

"I bet if I were standing in the middle of the ocean, he wouldn't stand a chance," Grey told them. "But in a one-on-one fair fight, he will win. My abilities are too taxing, especially in a close and strict environment like this dungeon."

"Not to mention he will have other decent knights with him," Elena pointed out. "No matter what, we will have to be careful."

"Careful is my middle name," Edlund said. "Actually, that's a lie. I don't think I have a middle name. But still, I am careful."