Chapter 14 Journey Ahead

That day of celebration became a blur in Lyse's head, now that he looks back on it. Even though it was just the working, the entire city was alive as if it never really stopped. Celebrations were in order, and the parade of knights and sages, squires, and soldiers alike danced, hollered, and sung throughout the streets. The main road was a bustle of dancing and music, every instrument playing whatever tune to drawn out the nearest. Instruments that Lyse had never heard of, but were all pleasant in the ongoing chaos. Many bards and poets had come to Silondras, and now finding an opportunity to showcase their talents, even if it was free, they still got silver out of it. A few songs were common in Broken Arrow; Marry and the Red Rose, Night in the Garden, The Old Spring Love. They seemed to come in every direction and every volume. The sweet aromas of perfumes as women passed by, dancing with knights, and the assorted goods from vendors staying near the outskirts lifted Lyse's spirits a bit, although he dared not take a gamble with the alcohol again, as Edlund was enjoying now.

He was more forced to the town square, where many were gathered around the statue of James looking down. is knowing smile somehow turning pleasant in the party, as almost all moved their feet below him. He never really experienced such a gathering like this. Even some of the great festivals, including the charges coming in just a few weeks, paled in comparison to any portion of what he saw. He almost felt the urge he had to dance, lest he disrespects some entity out there looking upon him. While initially, he danced alone near Edlund and Gray, who stiffly moved from foot to unsure uncertainly, he did not dance alone. Suddenly, he found his arms locked with a beautiful black-haired woman, hair passing her shoulder blades, as they spun around each other like those around them to a fast-paced song. Almost skipping they moved clockwise, twirling, and then the other direction. He kept a joyful smile and tried to keep his footing even. He never really liked dancing, but some external force seemed to be working upon him. As suddenly as the woman appeared, another was in hand, a slightly older woman with light auburn hair and high cheekbones. Lyse knew she had to be from further south, but she matched the spirits of all those around her. The song changed, and so did the dance. A dance that, at first, Lyse did not recognize. Yet, there was that hint of familiarity, like it was an old song he heard long ago, resurfacing now. This time, he took the lead, taking the women by the arm, bowing first, and began a movement of swift movements around one another. Twirling her in hand and spinning himself, he moved with a grace that he was see grabbed some eyes, and the woman seemed to enjoy it. Yet, it was not too long before she too left his hand as the song declined. And almost as soon as it ended, another began.

This time, he found Elena grabbing his hand, a softer jig rising from lyres and drums, and they both stared a bit bewildered, as if not expecting to be within each other's arms. Although they began to dance, Lyse felt suddenly clumsy, like he was first learning what legs really were. Elena seemed to stifle a small laugh as she then took the lead, showing Lyse what she knew from what little experience they had.

"I thought you were a bit lighter on your feet," Elena chided as they moved around each other.

"Learning stances and tending fields tend to bite into time for dancing lessons," he said in defense, but with a heavy smile. He didn't mean it to be a joke, but Elena laughed. It was short, but he felt he wanted to hear more.

They danced together step for step, Lyse getting better as they went on. Song after song, they stared at one another, not even trying to change partners to the chagrin of others that wished them to separate for even a moment. From the corner of his eye, he saw Edlund being taught an intense lesson in dancing. It seemed Edlund was even more untalented, as a woman made him follow his steps with a sad smile. Somehow, they all found themselves in what Lyse first thought was an inn, dining tables stacked on the edges leaving a clear space for those who wished to move to do so freely. An entire ban with a Chittarone, even some he had only heard of like a gemshorn, a goat's horn carved out with drills to produce an assortment of notes not unlike a flute. The rhythm was a bit slower but still joyous, and Lyse found him in a chair next to the far wall. Edlund somehow followed them, somehow even more worn down than they were, and immediately requested another drink. Lyse supposed that he was going to have to deal with a drunken Edlund, and he found that somehow amusing. Gray settles on a near table, laying on his arms as if the sounds of music we're making him sick. He still looked a little pale, and Elena was still glancing at him now and again as if he was going to suddenly fall over and die.