Chapter 48 The God's Scar

It was a night that settled upon Silondras. The winter's weathering was passing now, the northern chilling winds cascading down the mountains making the clearer days still and cold. This time of year is met with anxiety for the kingdoms such as Liontari, Lykos, and Nychterida. This time of year, into the fletching days of the winter nights, the Frostlanders, Hyperboreans, become more ferocious and more powerful, fueled by the winds that shall return on the return of the season. So much effort has been placed just to keep them back from the borders. James was penning orders in his private chambers, answering letters of concern from various incursions due to the increased agitation of the Frostlands as of late. The one he read was from a recent letter sent from near the border of Lykos. 

        Aurelius, the paladin of war, sent some of his own men there, expecting that this was where the Frostland kingdom of Mur'Elia was. He also predicted that they would favor more of their casters, called Kolesca. They are trouble for those who can not use aura. So, Aurelius sent a few knights and well-trained soldiers who specialized in anti-caster warfare. They favor surprise attacks, quick formations, and flexible fighting. And as expected, they completely routed their army, even capturing some of the elite Hyperboreans with the blood of ice and skin of the frozen sky. This letter that he read now was merely a victory lap for Aurelius and some of his captains. James smiled a bit at that; Aurelius was a brilliant strategist but an even bigger fan of winning. He expects a celebration will be thrown at his home camp in the coming days.

        In another piece, a concise report detailed some of the security procedures Lupren has taken upon his order. So far, they hadn't seen anything outwardly threatening besides the regular monster that stalked the forests. Silondras has increased security at the gate. Any foreigner from the outlands is to be questioned upon their arrival, every caravan searched, and goods inspected before they are allowed in. Officials or lords must verify their identity if they wish to come to the king's courts. The already strenuous check-ins of every guard on shift are to be fastened tighter, and soldiers returning or making it through the city are to be searched for foreign objects. It was honestly impressive to see Lupren do his job to his fullest. But this did little to minimize his stress. Fate pressed him, and he felt he must do more to compensate for the challenge. 

         He collected the papers into neat piles and then moved to one side as he began penning proper responses. As he did so, he felt a small puff of wind wash over him, and before he could dip his quill into ink, he noticed the presence of John sitting in one of the chairs before his work desks.

      "I'm sorry for forcing you to use your abilities," James told him. "I know you wish not to abuse them, but we have little choice." 

     "No, King James, I understand," John raised a dismissive hand. "Trust me; I will do anything I can to obliterate Talin and protect my country."

       "So what is happening around the lad?" James asked. "I've been getting some curious words from Arkouda."

      "Rightfully so," John said. "It's a travesty. The god Hephaestus has been reawakened and turned mount Kryn into a smoldering pile of burning rock. The fires are tremendous, but my master has authorized mages to help in containing and quenching it."

       "That's good. That's good," James sat back in his seat with a thoughtful expression, pulling the message he just wrote aside. "This week certainly helped in mending relations further between Torlak and the empire. This is a crucial step for what is to come."

     "Of course," John said. "Anyhow, I didn't come to give such idle updates, Lord James. I did deliver the message you gave to him. I know I should not gauge its content, but I do wonder what you plan to do."