Chapter 59 Homebound

21 years ago

"So this is it, eh?" spoke Maurice, godslayer of death. It was a sight, seeing all of the godslayers in one place. More often than not, these seven would be split into different areas of the world, dampening the efforts of the dastardly and mischievous motives of Umerius and his legion of dark warriors. And with the recent civil war. But for now, at least, they were united under the full moons for yet another meeting. But this time, it was not for some grand quest they must embark on. No, that was made clear from the expressions on Wilbur and James' faces. They had been deliberating for the past few days within this chamber, as Celia recalls. And she was just as interested as the other godslayers to knowing what these two were planning. They all sat around the table, waiting for the proclamation. They did not, however, expect what was happening.

"Indeed," James's said. "We must return to Mount Taliburn to see our master, and complete our training. Wilbur thought it best."

"Your master?" Lizbeth asked them. "Why in the hell would you need to go back. We need to unlock more on these pendants already and take the fight to Umerius while he is on the back foot."

"That is exactly what we are proposing, Lizbeth," Wilbur told her. "By allowing the time afforded to us, we will learn all we can about this pendant. We need to train, otherwise, we will be too unequipped and be overtaken by these Makhai and Plithos."

"So we're going to be splitting up?" Celia asked. "Make ourselves's easier targets?"

"I did not say that, Celia," Wilbur said. "I and James agreed that if we can finish our training, we will become greater assets. You all must make the same choices."

"While this is all very sudden," Remmus said. He was the quietest during this entire meeting up until now. He was absorbed in his spellbook, making notes after notes amongst spells and such with his quill and ink. But he did raise his head to meet them all. "I have learned a lot, simply by being within proximity of the pendant. This goddess named Hecate, her knowledge flows through me. Not only of my own abilities with the pendant, but yours as well. I have theorized that she may have had something to do with their creation."

"So what does that mean exactly?" asked Ivana. She stood near the head of the table, shrouded in a nice grey dress. She too has been rather quiet, but more of a choice to stay out of the discussion. She never liked to speak up, rarely to voice her opinion on anything, so this was more certainly a surprise. She seemed to recoil a bit once everyone's attention was drawn to her, but she seemed to compose herself and move on. "I think it's fair to say . . . that out of all of us, I have had the most shortcomings with my own pendant. I think we are correct to take a step back, and further, understand the power given to us."

Lizbeth scoffed. "This wouldn't be an issue if we still had that book."

"We don't, however, and we must act accordingly," James' said. "Things will not fall into our laps, we have to seize them wherever they may be. Trust me that I want nothing more than to drive my blade into Umerius's heart now, but that time must wait. For now, it is the further development of the godslayers, Theurgy, we must focus on."

"I hope that does not mean I have to be this man's testing cattle," Lizbeth sighed, referring to Remmus. He suddenly lifted himself up from the table, and walked towards one of the many walls of books and scrolls, pulling forth the sources.

"Only if you want to," he said. "But these tomes, ancient documents, and even some powerful weapons. We have so much at our fingertips, so I suggest we start learning."

Maurice sighed and rubbed his temple. "I left the Assembly to get away from stuff like this."

"Well then, Sentinel, I suggest you developed those habits they taught you," Remmus said to him, dropping a full armful of large tomes before him. "these are journals from previous godslayers of death. They should be somewhat helpful to you."