Chapter 30

Sa mga sumunod na linggo, naging matagumpay ang plano kong iwasan na siya. He'd occasionally show up in our games kasama si Amarissa pero hindi naman lumalapit.

As we neared the end of the season, I couldn't help but feel a bit of relief because I was finally putting more distance between the both of us.

There were things you just had to accept.

This was one of those.

I already learned that 3 years ago.

It was the 19th of December.

Game 3 na ng Finals.

This was our do-or-die game after Coach Ramil's team defeated us nung Game 2.

Hindi ko mapigilan ang maliit na pag-aalala as I caught a glimpse of Amarissa from the audience. Kahit papaano'y itinuturing ko na rin siyang kaibigan.

Sa pagkakatanda ko'y bukas na ang due date niya pero kahit na ganoo'y nandito pa rin siya sa game namin.

Tulad sa mga nagdaang laro ay katabi niya sa Jordi, who sat beside Collin, Sheila, and Sean. Sa likod nila'y narooon sina Ate.

Kanina pa kami nagpapalitan ng score, ngayo'y isang puntos na lamang at mananalo na kami.

I met Felipa's eye as she made contact with the ball. Ibinuhos ko na ang lahat ng lakas as I spiked it to the opponent's side.

A whistle pierced the air.

We won.

My teammates ran to hug me as confetti rained upon us. It was a flurry of celebration.

I found myself searching the audience as though to boast, only to realize that the person I wanted to boast to was someone I was avoiding. Bago pa man magtagpo ang tingin nami'y bumaling na ako sa mga kasama.

Matapos ang iilang interviews ay sumabay na ako sa team papuntang dugout para makapagpalit. We were given a few minutes to change our clothes so we could attend the awarding ceremony kaya nagmadali na ang mga kasama ko, saying that they didn't want to look haggard in the pictures.

I was delayed on my way to the dugout dahil sa mga nagpapapicture. They said they were proud that I had a Filipino blood and that I spoke their language and told me of how much they regretted that I didn't get to play under La Salle.

I didn't know what to make of that.

Knowing that the same people who said that could've been one of the people who would've judged me based on a rumor.

The halls that led to the dugout were silent as compared to the stadium itself. I was about to turn the last hall that led to our station nang marinig ko ang pangalan ko.

Paglingon ko'y naroon na ang grupo nina Sheila kasama niya sina Jordi at Ate.

I excitedly ran towards them as I was, once again, showered with congratulations and weirdly enough, confetti.

Iyon pala'y may hawak na iilang confetti si Amarissa and she was throwing them in the air as I hugged my sister. Masyado akong masaya sa panalo namin ngayon to even feel awkward about Jordi's presence.

Siguro'y kaulanan ay matututo rin akong masanay sa kanilang dalawa.

I had another series of picture taking with the group nang matapos na'y nagmadali na ako papunta sa dugout. I was about to go when Sheila interrupted me.

"Teka lang, Ky! Wala pa kayong picture ni Jordi!"

The awkward silence that seemed to be a distant stranger was with us now.