28

"You'll heal in no time. We need Micheal Phelps on our team after all," said Chulsoo as he tried to cheer the boy up. The room was filled with the swim team as they came to support their teammate. Yeejin wrapped her arms around one of Aeras as she sadly stared at the boy.

HyunTae had woken up to find out the fate of his accident. The loud clambering of the boy waking Yeejin up. He had attempted to get up, pulling out the IV and unplugging everything that read his vitals. Yeejin was quick to react, her panicked voice shouting for help from nurses as he shoved her away.

"Yeejin stop!" He shouted against her resistance.

"You can't-"

"Stop!" This time his voice cracked and she watched him slowly give up. His soulless figure sits on the edge of the bed with his casted leg propped on the edge. But he didn't cry. His voice had been so void of emotion that Yeejin did not mutter anything, both surrounded by thick silence for minutes.

And with the same expression, he remained as people came and went. Muttering encouraging things to cheer and make the situation better.

"Thanks for coming guys," Yeejin said once they were all out the door. Aera remained in the cold leather chair in the corner of his room. She had never seen such a serious expression on the boy. So she chose to remain silent in fear of his reaction.

"Can you step out for a second?" His voice low and dry. Aera nodded instead of saying anything. She hesitated by the door for a few seconds before completely closing it.

"What wrong?" Yeejin met the girl halfway. Peering over her shoulder to see inside the room.

"He told me to step out for a few,"

And before any of them could further question his odd behavior, they heard his cry. So heartbroken and full of sorrow. Both girls could feel tears of their own coming, choosing to sit on the floor in front of his door.

He cried, the tears messily running down his cheeks to which he aggressively tried to wipe them dry. The cast felt suffocating around his foot and calve. He reached over and touched the plaster. He wished to peek under it to see the condition of his leg but he knew it was impossible. He hated himself so much at that moment. The tears freely escaped to which he paid no mind.

How could things change so drastically?

The boy slowly dragged his leg towards the edge of the bed. Slightly wincing whenever he awkwardly twisted his leg too much. He took a hold of the crutches that stood beside his bed.  No matter how much he tried to see the best in his situation, the dead weight of his leg was a clear reminder that he was scarred. Both physically and emotionally.

"I'm looking for Jeon HyunTae," a middle-aged man stood at the counter. At the end of the hall, Aera and Yeejin stared confused as to who he was.

"Relation?" The nurse questioned as she typed away on the computer.

"I'm his father," Yeejin stared at Aera with wide eyes before they both scrambled to stand up.

"What do we do?" Yeejin panicked as she looked at the man and the door.

"Tell him," that was all the girl needed before she opened the door. Her pulse accelerating when she noticed that he wasn't in his bed.

The boy emerged from the bathroom and stared at the girl who looked stressed out.

"Your fathers here!"

"Outside?" He quickly looked at the door, the small window showing Aera as she spoke to someone.

"What do I do?" Before HyunTae could reply with a plan, his father aggressively pushed the door open. His eyes searching for his son. Instantly glaring when they fell on the crutches the boy was holding on to.

"Leave," the dark man muttered. Yeejin hesitantly looking at HyunTae for confirmation. His nod was all she needed before she walked out the door.

"That man is scary," Aera whispered when they found themselves once again sitting outside.

Despite the closed door, they could hear the conversation. The guilt of eavesdropping quickly disappeared when they heard the harsh words the man was telling his son.

"You go on and disobey me by attending this school and now what? You're bedridden with no future!" Aera pulled back the girl who was seconds from bursting into the room.

"I'm not bedridden! It'll heal and I'll be back like before,"

"I'll let you off easy. Just come and take over the company. You have a minor in business anyways so it'll work out perfectly-"

"I don't want to take over. I didn't want to before and I still don't. Can't you just be worried for me like a normal dad?" His voice had sounded so distraught, a mixture of sadness and anger.

"I made the trip all the way here-"

"For your own convenience. You've been here for 10 minutes and not once have you asked about me."

The girls shared a look. It had somehow finally started to make sense. HyunTae's reason for never mentioning his family. Aera pulled Yeejin further away from the door. Somehow letting the guilt of eavesdropping resurface.

Yeejin's ragging anger was presenting in the aggressive tapping of her foot. She knew she had no place in that room. They would have to share whatever words needed and then she would be able to comfort him. But the waiting was unbearable. She tried her best to distract herself.

"Where did you sleep?" Aera froze, being caught completely off guard.

"Staff member-"

"You slept at his house?!"

"No, I slept at the other units dorm. But he slept with his friend and I slept in a vacant room," Yeejin seemed unconvinced.

"So did you finally-"

"No," Aera crossed her arm and tiredly leaned against the wall. No matter how nice the accommodations in Jeno's room were, the girl could not catch a wink of sleep.

"Aera. If this whole incident has taught me one thing it's to not hold back," she stared at her best friend in confusion. What was Yeejin trying to tell her?

"It's a miracle that HyunTae came out unscathed- well despite his leg but what I'm trying to say is that I'm not going to hesitate. Luckily your situation is different but you don't understand the thoughts that ran through my head when I received the call. I'm going to be there for him and I hope you learn that you never know what's going to happen. Waiting around and holding back is not what you should be doing and I know how you feel for him. How you actually feel despite how much you try to hide it,"

Yeejin took both of the other's hand in hers. Her eyes switching between each of Aera's. The Canadian girl could hear her heartbeat in her ears. Her heart and mind fighting battles for dominance.

"Do what makes you happy," her hand reached up to cup her best friends cheek. She could see that she wasn't completely listening. Being lost in her own thoughts after her words. Aera placed her hand on top of Yeejin's and met her gaze.

"Do what makes me happy,"

They had shared a smile. The moment had been bittersweet. Both girls standing in the hospital. The cup of emotions being overfilled by the need to indulge and this time neither were conflicted by what they had to do next.

-
a.n: not my best work but I wanted to update. :) but anyways #teamrenjun since I know he was born ready.