25

Donghyuck held the door open until she was completely in the room. She didn't turn around after hearing him close it. Aera knew she had to speak first but something about the seriousness in his eyes made her hesitate.

"I know what you're going to say and I forgive you. But just answer me this,"

"Why were you avoiding me?" she didn't meet his eyes that were waiting for her to answer his question. What was she supposed to say? Sorry, I'm trying to get over my stupid crush.. who also happens to be you.

"I was having a really bad day. I said all kinds of nonsense to everyone. So I'm sorry if I was rude and disrespectful. That wasn't my intention at all. You're always helping me and I really appreciate it," she closed her lips into a straight line and waited for him to say something.

"What's going on with you? I mean like really. You've been acting differently and I get the bad day but I'm-" he looked away from her gaze.

"Worried," Aera's eyes widened for a fraction of a section but she decided not to heavily react because of how evidently uncomfortable he felt after openly expressing his feelings.

"School," she left her answer short and sweet. Donghyuck looked at her with the same serious look he had when they first entered the room. He was not convinced at all and he didn't want to show how much it was bothering him. Her distancing herself and avoiding him definitely affected him more than he thought.

"Are you sure because I've been seeing some pictures on Twitter and they don't just seem like school," she instantly knew he was referring to DongSe.

"That's not relevant-"

"Yes, it is. Are you dating him?" His question came out more pressed than he intended to.

"No!"

"Why are you lying?" Aera could not believe what she was hearing. It was like she couldn't stop getting into fights with everyone.

"I'm not lying and even if I was it's none of your business," at this point she had raised her voice at him. Thankfully the room had soundproof walls. Her frustration over the events of the past week were overflowing. Everyone constantly accusing her and making assumptions. Aera could feel her chest tightening over the anger.

"It is my business because I remember how rude he was to you. We're friends Aera and I have a right to look out for you. That guy is no good," It almost felt like months ago when they would get into aggressive fights and insult each other but this time Donghyuck was fighting to protect her.

"I judged him too quickly okay! We're good so butt out and mind your business,"

"Do you like him?" The question caught her by surprise and it showed. She furrowed her eyebrows and slightly stumbled over her words.

"No-why would you think that?"

He let a frustrated hand run through his hair. Hair that had grown significantly long and he seemed to make no plans to cut it. The strands fell messily over his eyes to which he made no attempt to fix it up.

"So nothing is going on with you guys?" He nervously looked at her face, wanting to meet her eyes. But he could see them momentarily falter and no words come out of her lips.

"I don't know," despite how much she wanted to deny her romantic interest for DongSe she couldn't. The itch for clarity was only growing stronger by the days and she refused to admit or succumb to any of her feelings towards Donghyuck. DongSe was the perfect distraction and excuse.

"You don't know?" He poked the inside of his cheek with his tongue in annoyance. She could tell he was getting angry and for some reason, she couldn't tell why.

"Why does it matter?"

"You shouldn't date him,"

"You can't tell me what to do. I don't get how all of this relates to you. I can understand the want to protect me as a friend but I don't understand how this involves you deciding who I should or shouldn't date," he didn't reply to her outburst despite the evident impatience she wore.

"Now you're not going to say anything?" She could almost laugh in that instance. He had yet to say anything as he leaned against the wall as if in his own thoughts. Aera scoffed and made her way towards the door. She had had enough of this.

Before her hand could wrap itself around the handle Donghyuck had pulled her back. She felt her bum hit the edge of the recording studio desk where all the switches and buttons were on. Her breath hitched as she saw him towering over her.

"Donghyuck," she softly whispered surprised by his sudden behavior.

"No Aera. Listen to me"

"You can't date him. Years ago it was Lucas. The heart-eyed glances, the stupid blushing when he approached you. With him, there was no chance. It would never happen and that made me happy, it would only be but a mere crush. But that- guy. He has a chance. I won't let it happen. Please," he had finally looked her directly in the eyes. It had been the first time she had seen such an expression on his face. Conflict, sadness, and heartbreak?

"What are you saying?" She whispered. He was only able to hear because of their close proximity.

"You can't be this dense," he passed a frustrated hand through his hair. The mess resulting in yet another disheveled look.

"I don't-"

"I like you stupid, just like five years ago," if her heart had been speeding before it was going into cardiac arrest now. He looked between both of her stunned eyes and let his glance fall to her lips.

Aera could see him debating, thinking. He let out a sigh before taking a step back. She almost missed the heat that radiated from his body and the smell of mint that had been fanning her face.

"Are you not going to say something?" He asked after a long silence. What was she supposed to say?

It could've been the perfect time to tell him she reciprocated his feelings. That she could not stop thinking about him despite how long it had been since they talked. And that she had no actual interest in DongSe because she had one person in mind.

The door creaked open and Renjun's head popped in. He stared at the angry face on Donghyuck's face and Aera's stunned one. Whatever happened couldn't have been good.

"Haechan-ah we have to go," he was about to leave and give him time to say goodbye but instead Donghyuck was quick to storm out of the room. Aera only got a chance to see his back before his footsteps echoed down the hall.

"Well... see you soon Noona," Aera waved and smiled despite how she felt internally. So much had happened in the span of minutes. She couldn't pinpoint how she should feel despite the rush of emotions that were swirling inside her.

However, she had one thing clear.

At that moment, Aera hated herself. She was being selfish towards DongSe who surprisingly only showed her support. She was using him and his feelings as a mere excuse to escape from her problems. But most of all she hated the heartbroken look that flashed behind his eyes just before he left. The sadness that was present just before he stepped out and how she could physically feel her heartstrings painfully pulling themselves apart.

-

a.n: how are you guys feeling about this book so far? anything you wish to see..
more jealous hyuck?
make Aera stop being a dumb b?