xxxvi. the salvage of the millennium

JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE TARDIS

edited as of january 22, 2021

When you fall asleep, you should wake up. It's common sense. Something even a toddler could explain. This process is something Charlotte found herself as familiar with as anyone else and found she didn't move much in her sleep.

Not once has Charlotte sleep-walked before, so when she woke up standing in the doorway to the console room of the late-eleventh era with her hands balled into fists at her side, as if she was on a mission, trying to find something, she found herself confused. Trying to keep her breathing steady, Charlotte hugs herself before leaving the empty console room

---

Later, Charlotte, now fully dressed in a green shirt tucked into her jeans, sat down in the console room as the Doctor worked in front of the monitor on the other side of the control panel. After telling the Doctor of her sleepwalking for the first time, the mood seemed to switch a little. Unaware if it was just her mind playing tricks on her or not, when the Doctor's focus was on the monitor, Charlotte glanced to and away from him repeatedly.

However, she wasn't being stealthy enough for the Doctor quickly caught her eyes when she glanced at him. "What?" he questioned her. "Is there something on my face?" He began rubbing his face, trying to wipe off whatever was bothering Charlotte.

Turning red, she shook her head. "Your face is fine." Realizing how that sentence could've been misinterpreted, Charlotte's eyes widen. "No, it's not. I mean, it is, but there's nothing on it. But, whatever, you know what I meant."

The Doctor, however, didn't take it in the way she thought and watched bemused as she tried to create a response but ultimately failed every time. Raising an eyebrow, he says, "You think my face is fine?"

"No!" And, just like that, the thought that something was off with the Doctor ended as Charlotte was far too focused on looking at anything but him.

---

Charlotte was still sat down in the chair when the Doctor follows Clara around the console. The Doctor grinning as he does so. "You said..."

"I know what I said," Clara told him, continuing to walk circles around the console. "I was the one who said it."

He grinned. "You said it was looking at you funny."

"I was tired, overwrought." Clara rolls her eyes. "I didn't mean it. It's an appliance. It does a job."

"It's a pretty cool appliance," the Doctor mumbled, giving the console a pat. "We're not talking cheese grater here!"

Clara's nose scrunched. "You're not getting me to talk to your ship. That's properly bonkers."

Continuing to walk, the Doctor bent down to the console, stroking its side as he moved down. "It's okay, it's okay," he cooed to it.