xix. anger and gangers

THE REBEL FLESH

THE REBEL FLESH

edited as of april 22nd, 2020

In the TARDIS console room, as loud music played on the speakers, the Eleventh Doctor looked from where the monitor flashed between 'positive' and 'negative' and to where Amy and Rory played darts. Rory stood across the dartboard and carefully aimed the said dart to it before throwing it. Watching it come in just below the wire, the corners of his mouth raised in a small smile.

Amy looked from the dart and back at Rory. "46. Rubbishy, rubbishy, rubbish," she chided, setting down the clipboard of scores.

"Hello, it's a double top," he corrects her, pointing to his dart before moving out of the way as she began her turn.

"Wrong side of the wire, mister," replied Amy as she aimed her dart.

"You're red."

She laughed as she winked to help aim. "No, I'm not. Stop trying to put me off." Just about to let go of the dart, Amy's heart stopped when a puffy-eyed brunette with flushed cheeks appeared in front of her- wearing grey pajama pants and a green shirt. Charlotte's eyes widen, seeing the dart pointed at her nose.

"Charlotte!" Exclaimed Amy, catching the Doctor's attention from the console- where he turns off the music and the pregnancy scan. "I almost killed you!" Amy finally took in her flushed face. "Are you alright?"

"Wha- Oh, um, yeah, yeah. I'm good," Charlotte stammered, rubbing a hand across her face. She feigned a smile and looked between Amy and Rory. "Now, when are we?"

"Question is, when were you?" The Doctor asked, seeing her state.

Charlotte turns over to him, crossing her arms over her chest as her teeth pushed together. With a puff of air and a roll of her eyes, she moved away from the two and walked up to the console, only to purposefully stand on the opposite side of it. Amy and Rory, who were onlooking this interaction, looked over to each other equally confused.

"Charles Dickens?" He guessed, only knowing he was correct when she nodded.

"Alright, what happened?" Amy questioned them, walking up to the console with Rory following. Getting no response, she immediately turned to the Doctor, "What'd you do?"

"He didn't do anything... It's more of my fault, anyway."

The Doctor shook his head at her. "No, no. Nothing was your fault. Nothing. I said what I said, and I regret it."

"You were just saying the truth," replied Charlotte. While she tried to seem okay with what the Doctor said, he noticed her eyes downcast to the console as her right hand fiddled with it uselessly. "I should have more of a plan."

"Okay, okay..." mumbled the Doctor to himself before turning to face Rory and Amy. "How 'bout, while we-" he pointed from himself to Charlotte- "talk, I drop you two off for fish 'n' chips? Take your time. Don't rush."