xxiii. charlotte versus the sontarans

THE SONTARAN STRATAGEM

edited as of June 18th, 2020

Standing at the console, Donna pilots the TARDIS as the Doctor watches her from behind. Beaming, Donna glances at the Doctor- who was itching to fly it on his own and has already had to stop himself from doing so in the last thirty seconds. Just two spaces to Donna's left, Charlotte, whose hair was in two braids, does the same.

"Char, pull that lever down quarter-way," he tells her.

Once pulling the said lever a quarter-way down, Charlotte glances over at him. "I'm 'bout to steal the TARDIS," she said with a laugh.

"Yeah, no you aren't." With Charlotte's focus deterred, the TARDIS enters some turbulence. The Doctor quickly went up to the console, twisting around a switch and thus ending the turbulence. Pointing a finger at her, he adds, "Focus," before taking a step back.

A few seconds later, as the TARDIS continues flying with only the Doctor onlooking, Donna grins. "I can't believe I'm doing this!" She says. In response, Charlotte shook her head.

"No, neither can I," replied the Doctor, who watches them like a hawk as they worked around. "Oh, careful!" He immediately goes over to Donna, hitting the console with the hammer. Moving aside, swimming the hammer above his shoulder, he focuses on the scanner- watching it closely. "Left hand down, Donna, left hand down!"

Donna brings down a control on her left and the TARDIS sharply turns and causes the three of them to lose their balance for a second. Holding down onto the console, Charlotte quickly regained her footing when the TARDIS' lurching.

"Getting a bit too close to the 1980s!" he exclaims.

"What am I gonna do?" questioned Donna, "Put a dent in 'em?"

"Well, someone did." The Doctor's sentence trails off as a mobile phone rings.

Charlotte looks around for the said ring. "Is that mine? Or yours?"

"Mine." The Doctor moves past Donna to another part of the console, pulling out from a compartment a mobile phone.

"You've got a mobile?" says Donna, who looked at him with the phone as if it were a joke. "Since when?"

"It's not mine," he tells her before lifting the phone to his ear and answering, "Hello."

---

Just a few minutes later the TARDIS materializes in an alleyway where Martha Jones has been waiting for the familiar grinding noise, becoming ecstatic when the blue box finally settles. Out of the three inside, the Doctor was the first to poke his head out of the doors, looking back before seeing Martha and immediately greeting her with a hug.

"No way," a flustered Charlotte said under her breath as she approaches the two, her eyes dead set on Martha, who she has yet to meet. "I mean- whatever. Martha Jones!" Nervously, Charlotte reaches out and shakes her hand. "Charlotte Mary Bolton. Hi."