xxiv. charlotte versus the sontarans part two

THE SONTARAN STRATEGEM PART TWO

edited as of august 16th, 2020

For the most part, the drive began as a smooth ride. The potholes hardly disturbed Charlotte as she flipped through the Sat-nav user manual found in the glove box while Ross drove. Yeah, she had not even the slightest clue what most of what the manual had to say, but it was far more interesting than the passing scenery.

"UNIT's been watching Rattigan Academy for ages," Ross told them, Charlotte glimpsed at him from the guide- listening in as he continues, "It's all a bit Hitler Youth: exercise at dawn and classes and special diets."

As the Sat-nav instructs Ross to "turn left" he turns in the direction onto an unbusy road.

The Doctor looked past the scenery while he held onto the roof handle. "Ross, one question. If UNIT thinks ATMOS is dodgy..."

The soldier didn't need him to finish. "How come we've got it in the jeeps?" He makes a face as he glances over to the two. "Yeah, tell me about it. They're fitted as standard on all government vehicles. We can't get rid of them until we prove something's wrong."

Charlotte sighed, looking back down at the user manual as she mumbled, "This is why we can't have nice things."

The Sat-nav tells Ross to take a right and, as he does so, he says, "Drives me around the bend."

Both the Doctor and Charlotte looked forward to see the car drive around a bend in front of the Rattigan Academy (which seemed to be converted from a massive, old mansion). Charlotte chuckled to herself while placing the manual on the dashboard.

"Oh, nice one!" commented the Doctor.

"Timed that perfectly!"

"Yeah... You sure did." Charlotte looks out the window to see a group of teens running outside in bright red jumpsuits. She sat up straighter, craning her neck to catch a view of the students- in an attempt to get the feel for this place beforehand.

Just a minute later, after parking the jeep, the three walked past the same group of students in the direction of the man of the hour, Luke Rattigan (who silently stood in the middle of the grounds).

"Is it PE?" the Doctor wondered out loud. "I wouldn't mind a kick around, I've got my chaps on."

"Got an orange jumpsuit too? You'd fit right in."

Hearing them approaching, Luke turns to face the trio. "I suppose you're the Doctor?"

"Hello!"

Charlotte gives a tight smile. "I'm Charlotte Mary Bolton, by the way."