xlviii. the renaissance

THE SNOWMEN PART TWO

edited as of july 23rd, 2021

A minute later, Charlotte crouches behind the bushes across from Latimer House's entrance alongside Vastra, Jenny, and Strax. A carriage pulls up past them and, through the window, they caught sight of Simeon inside.

"It's the human male from the Institute," said Strax. "What's he doing here? Suggest we melt his brain using projectile acid fish, and then interrogate him."

Charlotte gave Strax a strange look. "Other way around," she says.

The four move to follow the carriage. Keeping quiet, they watched as Simeon extends a pole above the House's barrier, beginning to blow snow onto the property. Understanding what was occurring, the group slowly and quietly gets up from their hiding spot.

Knowing they didn't have enough to stop Simeon at that moment, they quietly left to enter the house through the back. Not knowing the quickest entrance into the home, the group splits into three: Vastra and Jenny took the front door, Strax went around the house, and Charlotte tries a window.

Meanwhile, in the front hall, all in the house gathered when becoming aware of the attack. Alice, the now hysterical maid, runs in. "Captain Latimer, in the garden, there's snowmen!" she exclaims. "And they're just growing, out of nowhere, all by themselves- look!" Alice rushes to the front door and opens it, only to come across a Silurian with her arm hooked with a human woman.

"Good evening, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time and this is my wife."

Alice screams in terror, running to the side room, only to see a woman fall into the house after breaking in through a window. Charlotte's eyebrows furrow as she watches the maid continue to scream, hurrying down the hall only to stop in front of Strax.

"This dwelling is under attack!" the Sontaran alerted. "Remain calm, human scum!"

With a final scream, Alice faints. Charlotte, who closed the window she opened outside, awkwardly scratches the back of her neck when watching her fall to the ground. From where he stood in the middle of the stairway beside Clara, the Doctor runs down to stand in front of Latimer- the bearded captain and father of the two children Clara watches as a governess.

"So! Any questions?" asked the Doctor.

Latimer looks up to Clara. "You have a... gentleman friend?"

Blinking in surprise, Charlotte crosses her arms over her chest. "That's the excuse you used?" Of course, she neither should have been surprised nor hurt. After all, they weren't together and he only quickly thought of that excuse, but it was still enough to make Charlotte raise her eyebrows.