xxviii. aino

THE TIME OF ANGELS PART ONE

edited as of december 13th, 2020

Aino had a dark sense of humor. No, she didn't laugh at others' expense; she wasn't evil anymore. She laughed at the lava snakes when she got frightened and called the Zombie-Donkeys 'asses'. In a way, her sin was pride for how she believed none of these dangerous creatures could hurt her. After all, a Zombie-Donkey isn't going to kill her, so she may as well have some fun bullying the ass.

Her life has always been strange and filled with illegal stunts, but after receiving her pardon, and begging to work alongside Father Octavian and the Clerics, she found she had a purpose beyond her own desires. She could help people, even if it includes dirty work like Zombie-Donkeys. Aino didn't care for being the only woman in the group, except for River Song, who wouldn't have been accepted by Octavian if it wasn't for Aino's high recommendation.

If there was something Aino specifically disliked about this lifestyle was the hours. Knowing that beforehand, she snuck a demand for Saturdays off in her contract.

This Saturday includes relaxing in a hammock. Sunglasses on, she lazily held a passion fruit martini whilst re-reading Robert Frost's "A Time to Talk"... similar to every Saturday.

To her left, a young cleric comes up to her. "Father Octavian needs to talk to you."

Looking up, the brown-skinned woman sees Bob (who she doesn't know well but finds kind). "He knows it's Saturday, yeah?"

Nodding, Bob adds something else, "He said it was important."

That caught Aino off guard. Octavian used 'important' to get her to help, but he never told the messenger. This was against their rhythm. Pushing the sunglasses onto her thick hair, Aino squints her eyes at Bob. "Did he say anything else?"

"You have a message," says Bob, his voice remaining as dreary as ever, "from River Song."

Eyes widening, Aino left the hammock. Setting the martini down on a side-table for later, she began speed-walking to Father Octavian's office. Yes, it's Saturday, but there's also next Saturday and the one after that. This Saturday, though, there's a unique plan.

---

Leaving her Hawaiian button-up behind and changing into her desert camouflage uniform, Aino joins their ship on the way to Alfavra Metraxis. On the way, the clerics receive a presentation on their mission, enemy, and basic geographic information. They'll be landing on a beach near an ancient temple where they'll meet River Song and her army.

Aino was one of the first five soldiers, including Father Octavian, to meet River's army near the crash site at the Aplan Temple (or, rather, in it).