xliv. charlotte and the doctor

CHARLOTTE AND THE DOCTOR

edited as of march 28th, 2021

It wasn't only the feeling in her gut that told her something was wrong, but the fact that nothing has been right for months. Charlotte Mary Bolton was human but, with the Time Lady soul she shared a body with, she felt like she wasn't human in the sense Martha is.

After laying in bed, thinking to herself on that topic, Charlotte came up with multiple things that utterly confused her: How could she get two souls in the first place? What does that really mean? Why didn't Martha recognize her? For once, Charlotte didn't care for the blistering headache that came from wondering these things; she had to know them to survive.

Charlotte goes to the console room, finding the Doctor in there alone, she enters the room to stand beside him in front of the console's screen. Looking down at it, she saw a string of numbers go over it, grow by the dozens.

"Are you sure you don't remember anything?" she asks him, breaking the silence.

The Doctor raised his eyebrows. "You've asked me that three times now, is there something I should've?"

"No, definitely not." Charlotte shook her head, turning the subject around. "Do you remember when I first met you?"

"Yes, why?"

Inhaling sharply, she continues, "Did I have two souls then? How long has this been happening?"

The Doctor shifts in his spot, not sure how to answer. "Yes and no," he said. "There was two, but... the other-"

"Aino."

He nods, now knowing what she knows. "-Aino, was in this unconscious state where she was there but she could never do anything and wasn't aware of anything going on. She only became 'conscious' when you looked into the heart of the TARDIS."

Charlotte rubs her eyelids, utterly confused on the ins-and-outs, but had an okay understanding. "So, when you look into the heart, it sort of looks back into you, yeah? So it looked into me, felt Aino, and woke her up somehow?"

"Precisely."

"But how could I have gotten Aino's soul in the first place?" she questioned. "Not that I don't like her, but I wouldn't go looking for it."

The Doctor's eyes widen, not sure how to answer her. "Well, um, has it ever occurred to you Aino came first and you're the 'new' soul?"

Pausing, Charlotte thought of that possibility for a moment before giving a dry laugh. "Please, this is my body. I think I would know if it was her's."

"Unless you couldn't know."

Her laugh wore down and she was left with a goofy smile. "Of course I would," said Charlotte nonchalantly.