xlv. ticking clocks

THE GIRL IN THE FIREPLACE

edited as of june 23rd, 2021

Pierre, Lord of Archambault is famous for both his great looks and his charisma. His smile nearly goes to both hemispheres of his face and the only error the Frenchman had to his name was the powdered wig he wore... but that fact was forgotten when he wore the maroon 18th-century coat that brought out the brown hues of his eyes.

It was easy, shockingly easy, for Charlotte to think she was in love with him. Of course she was not, but from the epic stories she heard around Pierre, she became obsessed with the idea of being with him. It was easier to lie about herself when she's dying, it was easier to become obsessive with the idea of love, and it becomes easier to dance with the man you believe you love after six days of knowing each other.

With the string instruments playing to the end of the room, Charlotte is lifted into the air by Pierre. Landing back down amongst the other dancers of the grand ball. It's party after party with him: to him a day isn't complete until a ball.

"You said you're the Lady of Hollywood, can you remind me where that is?" he asked her as they began stepping in a simple pattern.

Charlotte bit back a laugh. "It's in America," she answers.

"Ah, the New World."

"It's not new, it's been here just as long as the 'Old World' has."

The music slows down and so follows their dance. "But it is another world and, thus, you are not of my world." Pierre smirks. "I heard from a dear friend that, when he first landed in Quebec, it was like heaven."

"That's nice," comments Charlotte.

"Is Hollywood in Quebec? Because you are heavenly."

Charlotte blinks, did he just give a 'coming from heaven' pickup line to her? That has to be one of the first of those lines ever made. Instead of groaning, Charlotte smiled politely. "You're making me blush."

Later in the night, when they were back at the house Charlotte and Pierre were staying at during their stay in Paris, Pierre sits alone with her in her bedroom. He was different in this scene, though, because despite Charlotte's attempts to console him while he tried to admit something to her he remained silent.

"I don't love you," he told her. "I have no romantic feelings for you."

Charlotte only blinked, not having any feeling of hurt in her heart. "Oh," she reacted. "Okay."

As he began giving his reasoning, giving the name of his last love: how he was still madly in love with her, how she left to marry a rich man, and how he used Charlotte in order to believe they were still together. However, despite how much he tried to pretend he was over her, he always tried to believe Charlotte was her.