xlvii. the final memories

THE SNOWMEN

THE SNOWMEN

edited as of july 23rd, 2021

Charlotte has tried everything. Reading jokes straight from a Victorian joke book, playing modern comedies, etcetera... yet nothing has been sufficient to help him in away way. For her attempt of the day, Charlotte decided to make dinner. Something she hasn't done in a long time due to the fact the TARDIS can do it on her own.

Apparently, the TARDIS made it even harder for her. The ship was out of salt the one time anyone here wanted to make something, so she left for the shop in hopes they'd have something a time machine wouldn't.

Charlotte jumps off the ladder and into the snow. Pushing the ladder back up, she begins to walk in the shop's direction before she felt the wind on her bare forearms. Her dress's sleeves went only to her elbows, thus why she was supposed to get her coat for the freezing late-December weather.

Yet, she wasn't cold. Despite the snow falling down and the wind forcing it onto her bare skin, she was warm- hot, even. With the snow clouds blocking the sun's view, when Charlotte looks up, there was no hope that it was simply getting warming.

Was this sudden warmth a sign? She has been here for nearly a month, could it be a side-effect of Aino's soul being ready at any moment to take over her body?

"I need salt," Charlotte reminded herself, forgetting her lack of coat, and began walking in the snowfall without an ounce of chill.

---

After returning to the empty TARDIS with the salt, Charlotte closed her eyes and opened them in the middle of a poker match in an old building she couldn't locate. She has only played once, a few months ago, and found some enjoyment in continuing the game from Aino until she saw the time: nearly eight.

"Got to go, boys," she says to her opponents, pushing her chips to the right and setting her cards down.

Outside of the building, Charlotte holds her dress up for the snow as she runs back to the park. Jumping up, she pulls on the ladder with her body weight before climbing up. Rushing up the stairs, she reaches the TARDIS with just enough energy to open up the door.

Ten minutes later, she was on the phone with the Doctor while making the salad. Once he finished speaking about the woman he met minutes ago, Charlotte said, "Well, I like seeing you making new friends. Was she nice?"

She could practically hear him roll his eyes. "I just spoke to her. Briefly."

"I'd bet she say something different," Charlotte says as she looks around for the bowl's lid. "Said something impactful to her, no doubt."