xxii. flesh and afresh part two

THE ALMOST PEOPLE PART TWO

edited as of june 6th, 2020

Led by Cleaves, the group was walking in a red-lit tunnel when they turn into a hallway. And the sight Charlotte saw caused her face to recoil as she held a torch up to the wall... Where the backs of eyeballs were melted onto the wall but they still seemed able to watch every single one of their movements.

"Ah," says the Doctor as he looks at them, seemingly unfazed. "The eyes have it."

Amy looks towards the eyeballs in confusion. "Why are they here?" she asks.

"To accuse us." After answering, the Doctor moves down the hallway.

"Let's just ignore them," says Charlotte, who has trouble herself tearing her eyes away from them. Those eyes sent chills up her spine as she walked away and she had to hold in the urge of glancing back, as she knew they were still stuck on the wall following them as they turn a corner.

---

It wasn't long later when as an alarm blares, they stand in the Thermostatic Chamber. While the Doctor and Cleaves stand at the control panel, working in a haste, Charlotte stands among Amy, Jimmy, and Dicken. But as another explosion causes the floor beneath their feet to rumble, Charlotte shouts over the sparkling machinery and the alarms, "We need to get out of here!"

With Amy rushing out first, they all began running back into the tunnel. Hardly even out of the doorway, she runs into Rory, who stood in the hall with Jennifer. "You alright?" He asks them.

"Thank God," sighed Charlotte when she saw him. For a second there, she was beginning to get worried.

"Oh, Rory!" Amy rushed up and hugs him tightly. "Oh, Rory."

He pulls away and begins looking around to the rest of the group. "There's a way out," he tells them. "Jennifer found it. A secret tunnel under the crypt."

"From the crypt?" Cleaves repeated as a question. "It's not on the schematics."

"It runs out of the monastery." Focusing on the Doctor, Rory adds, "Maybe even under the TARDIS, Doctor. Follow me."

Without a thought, Charlotte runs behind Rory as he begins leading them down the tunnel. The Doctor, however, glances back in the opposite before joining them.

Not long later, they all rush into the acid room. Charlotte stops at the tub of the liquid flesh, looking over the edge, she watched as it bubbled up. Jimmy goes over to a station, saying as he did, "We can't leave without Buzzer."

"I'll go back for him," said Cleaves.

In all honesty, Charlotte couldn't recall, of the crew members, who lived and died. She knew the real Jimmy, both Jennifers, and the Ganger Cleaves will die but other than that she's clueless. It made her feel useless. Of all vital moments, why can't she just know that information? Why is it always these moments?