xxxviii. feel well soon

SCHOOL REUNION

SCHOOL REUNION

edited as of february 1st, 2021

A fifteen-year-old girl, Kyla, was late for her history class. Placing her backpack to the side of her desk, she let out a sigh of relief when realizing their new teacher wasn't even there yet- after a round of substitutes after Mr. Remy quit the students finally believe they'll have a solid teacher for the rest of the year.

Walking in from the door of the attached office, a woman with her brown hair pulled back in a tight bun with a cup of coffee sets the mug on the front desk before scrawling her name out on the chalkboard in front of them:

'Miss Bolton' it read.

Charlotte turned back to the class she was not qualified to teach in any sort. "Okay," she began. "History is a hefty subject, so, what does this class know?" she glances around at the teenagers. "When was the Protestant Reformation?"

Kyla rose her hand and was motioned to speak. "1517 to 1648," she responds.

That sounded about right to Charlotte and she gives a harder question. "What's the name of the one signer of the Declaration of Independence who took his name off?"

Kyla answers again. "Richard Stockton." That time Charlotte was positive Kyla was correct, as she was there just before this job, and it was ugly.

"When and where was Napoleon Bonaparte born?"

Being the only one who raised her hand, Kyla replies again, "August 15, 1769," she said. "On the island Corsica in Ajaccio."

Not looking to ask any more questions, Charlotte spent the next chunk of class going in-depth on her policies (late work, academic honesty, etc.). While she knew she bored the class half-to-death, she was aware that, as she mentioned earlier, she wasn't qualified for this position.

As she went for a sip of her coffee while speaking about late work, Charlotte got another burst of exhaustion and closed her eyes just to open them again to see her class staring at her with scientific formulas running through most of their heads, trying to understand what was going on.

Charlotte looks down at her shirt, just to see a coffee stain on it. Groaning, she put the mug back on the table.

---

The next day, in the cafeteria of the school, the grumpy dinner lady, Rose, spoons some mashed potatoes onto Charlotte's plate. Grinning at her, Rose gave an eye-roll in return, not because of some pent up anger towards the history teacher, but from her hatred towards this job.

Charlotte sits at her and the Doctor's table, with him still in line, she was alone for the time being when Kyla and two of her friends came up with a card.