10_Grasp

Danny

It was merely morning and the sun had just recently shown itself after taking refuge behind the thick clouds of the cold night before. 

The sky was now riddled with stars, somehow reminding me of the ricochet bullets from a shotgun. 

The streets weren't yet bustling with activity as would be at midday, no, instead it was a camp of little or no hustle.

I crossed the street away from my vehicle, making for the local hardware. 

 It was a known fact that Mr. Paris, the owner, liked to get an early start on his day. 

It was his belief that it would make for better business and he was on point.

Margo Paris was the legitimate elderly owner of the town's hardware. 

One of the Little Foot's well-respected merchants, Margo was liked. 

Though he lived alone and despite what anyone would get on the first impression, Margo had a son. 

Jared.

Jared Paris, Margo's boy was ten years my junior and an only child. 

At one point, it had been just him and his father. 

Now the old man was on his own. 

He was not really on his own because he had the townfolk to distract him though. 

Margo was optimistic that one day his boy would take over the family business.

Anyway, I caught sight of one of the Florette sisters who seemed to be struggling with the load of goods she'd purchased from the Grocery. 

Instinctively, I went to her aid, taking most of the bags before she went around, opening the trunk of the old station wagon.

"Thank you Daniel, my dear," She chuckled to herself. "You'd think that I'd get the hang of it now."

"It happens to the best of us at one point or another, Ms. Fay." I hope that I didn't mistake one for the other.

"It's May." We shared a laugh before she looked me in the eye. '' How soon will your parents be back? I wanted to have a chat with Leighton about the annual potluck.''

''Today actually. By evening, they should be back.''

''So, are you excited about the potluck?'' She asked, observing me with a keen eye.

''Actually, I hadn't thought about it until you just mentioned it.''

''Have you considered bringing a date yet?''

''Evidently not,''

''Well, it's a great time to start. How about that sweet girl, you're hosting? ''

''Paege? There's no way that she'll agree to that.''

''Son, you better act quickly. A woman that rare, or far less young, with her attributes isn't available forever.''

''I'll keep that in mind.'' I nodded.

''Thank you, for the help. So long as they return this evening, please tell your mother that I will be by to see her.'' Ms. May smiled her thanks once I had helped her into the car.

''I will be sure to,'' I smiled, waving her off.

That was an odd topic for discussion this time of the morning.