32_Bare Minimum

Danny 

The rain couldn't keep me away. I'd turn up drenched if I have to.

Now that things were good between us again, nothing would keep me away from the woman I love.

I couldn't bear to spend another moment apart.

The urge to be near her had too much of a grip on me to be ignored. Enough that I'd packed a few bowls, and soon found myself on the road again, aimed in the direction of my heartbeat.

Not long after, I parked my vehicle before killing the engine, hopping out and engaging the locking mechanism.

Droplets of rain pattered against my clothes, hence I used my jacket as a cover for the bag, shielding the contents from becoming waterlogged.

The aftermath of the misunderstanding had taken its toll on Paege, made evident by her request to keep things professional at work.

Despite having no desire to hurt her, guilt wore on me at the degree to which my past had caused her anguish.

I didn't think it was possible to regret meeting a person more, but my ex sure made it seem effortless.

I'd do whatever I could to repair the damage and make sure my baby felt as comfortable as possible again.

I couldn't deny her request. Especially since it would ensure that she would retain what remained of her sanity.

From the moment onward, we endeavoured to keep our work and personal lives separate.

It was a sacrifice, but I could hardly argue about having her all to myself. In fact, I revelled in it.

I loved when we caught a moment alone. We could be authentically ourselves without fear of judgement.

As per usual, one of the Florette sisters–Miss Fay, I think–exited the B'n'B unto the porch.

The precision of their timing seemed to suggest either the sisters were clairvoyant by nature, or they possessed a home security system.

I nodded in acknowledgement before jogging up the porch steps.

Upon reaching the top, we delved briefly into a bit of conversation before parting ways, after which I entered the establishment, climbing the stairs two by two to the level above.

I must have looked comical while walking briskly, and navigating the hallway, but I didn't care.

Eventually, I came upon her door, my heart launching a verbal protest as I came to a halt.

The effects of the rain–in combination with raking my hands through my hair a few times–probably gave it a tidy facade. But I ran my hands through my hair anyway, ensuring that I was as close to presentable as possible before knocking.

Silence lingered in the hall a few seconds before muffled shuffling caught my ear. Apparently emanating from in her room, drawing near before the door opened to reveal my baby.

Clad In a crop top vest, a pair of navy-blue fleece-lined joggers and her signature cute fuzzy socks–of course–I could honestly say she never looked better.

Sure, fancy clothes and make-up were fine, but her natural beauty blew me away.

"Hi–" She greeted, a smile on her face which I interrupted, drawing her to me by the small of her back and returning her enthusiasm in a passionate kiss.

A moan rumbled between our bodies, and neither of us seemed to discern–or care–that we were in the doorway.

When we broke apart, our ragged breaths mingled in the air, her soft palm flush against my chest and a blush rising on her cheeks as she lowered herself back unto the soles of her feet.