26_Acquaintance

Danny

The moment I entered the room, my heart plummeted.

It took everything within me–every ounce of effort–not to go after her. And, as badly as I wanted to, I knew that she needed time. To get a rein on her emotions. To cool down and find her footing.

Such an encounter, though not of my own making, wasn't exactly easy to stomach or dismiss, much less forget under any circumstances.

The look in her eye alone, when I'd finally caught up to her, was enough to make me hate myself for good.

I couldn't have predicted that I would find myself in a similar scenario to what I'd experienced in the past, at the hands of my ex. Except, in this instance, the roles had been reversed, and my actions, or inaction rather, had inadvertently betrayed my lover. That I'd hurt her.

I couldn't overlook her concerns and feelings, as they were valid, and she had every right to feel the way she did.

While I had been ambushed and caught unawares, the fact remained that I had shared a kiss with another, most notably, my ex.

If the shoe were on the other foot, I'm certain I wouldn't have taken it as well as Paege had and I'd have seen red just as she did.

Additionally, I knew for a fact that it would have taken a considerable amount of convincing to resist my temper.

Nevertheless, my heart nagged at me, begging to be near her, so I could fix this and cradle her close to me, and never let her go.

It sank a little deeper every second I endured out of her proximity and failed to remedy the issue.

Despite my father's eagerness to leave the location, we experienced a delay, in the form of that vile woman.

Mom embraced me supportively from behind, running her hands up and down the length of my arms in a soothing motion, in an attempt to ease my forlorn state.

Dad had his hands full and attention elsewhere, trying to keep all heads cool and this situation from dissolving further into chaos.

As if she hadn't done enough already, Ellie proceeded to stir up trouble, baiting Bell into a fight.

Concerning those precious years of my life she'd squandered away, one would think maybe she'd have the slightest inkling not to tempt fate.

Instead, the woman had no idea the implications of her actions or the embers she'd reignited within my sister.

Regardless of whatever reason she initially tried to endear herself to me, taunting my sister was sure to have the opposite effect.

Bell may have looked like a mermaid tonight, but when provoked, she embodied the fury of a thousand sirens and could easily throw down like one of the men.

It was quite something to witness, and I'd had my share of disarming such a charged situation many times in the past.

She had no problem extinguishing brawls, or starting one herself, should the ends justify the means.

Her exploits had reached an all-time low however since Paege waltzed into our lives. That was Paege again, having a positive impact on us.

But that's not to say, my sister wasn't especially susceptible to old habits when my ex had ruined a near-perfect night. Or upset her best friend's happiness altogether.

I could hardly blame her either. I was beyond furious. But my feelings aside, I tried to wrap my head around how exactly I'd gone from loving on my girlfriend to loathing my ex, in the blink of an eye.