34_Enough

Danny

Don't leap to conclusions.

Who knows the context behind what you saw?

Not you, my inner voice interjected, that's for sure. I scoffed, shaking my head in response to the inward jab, trying my best to not venture down the rabbit hole. That certainly struck below the belt.

The gratifying smell of freshly ground coffee lingered in the air, earning my interest and improving my mood, even if briefly. It presented a welcomed distraction to my unwelcomed imaginings.

The aroma alone stimulated my tastebuds, whetting my appetite.

Of course, it didn't help my case that I'd managed to miss breakfast altogether. Especially on an exceptionally busy day, like today.

A low grumble in my stomach squashed any remnant of hesitation I'd garnered while sitting here, awash in conflicted musings.

Without a second thought, I hopped out of my truck, trekking up the flagstone path to the entrance of the café.

A wealth of spices greeted me in a gush upon entry, clinging to the atmosphere but none struck me as much as the smell of fresh coffee.

The fragrance was enticing alone. Enough to unearth a craving for a fresh cup of brew. An unflinching itch which subsequently reeled me in, like the catch of the day, with little to no resistance.

Grunting greetings to fellow townsfolk and passers-by on my way over, an unrelenting wave of grogginess followed me, like a storm cloud. All at once, superseding my completion of errands in town.

The controversial memory flashed in my mind, once again rattling my cage. Just like that, my mood took a nosedive again as a particular development filtered through a very fractured, irate lens.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I could never have imagined that, of all things, when I woke up this morning, I'd see the woman I loved, looking rather cosy in the arms of another.

Truthfully, I ought to be the last person jumping to conclusions, and though I tried my best to come to a reasonable assumption regarding what I saw, nothing eased my worries. Instead, a whirl of unsolicited thoughts highjacked my hopes and took me to a place I'd rather not go.

After all, it had not been a few years ago that my ex-fiancé at the time found something shinier in the arms of another man.

My stomach protested impatiently as I stood amidst the modest line that trailed the counter. The wooden fixture housed a cashier and a server adjacent to the showcase of appealing treats on display.

Thank God for the chatter of friendly conversation, and background music throughout the café, that masked its verbal dissent.

A few feet away, the cashier and server attended to each customer, with efficiency and tact, engaging in friendly chatter which helped to put their patrons at ease. Also, ensuring that all who entered got something positive out of the service and interaction, in general.

Every customer who'd completed their transaction so far seemed to have some trace of an appreciative smile as they turned away from the cashier with their purchase in hand.

The line moved at a reasonable pace, so that was appreciated. And, soon enough, I stood two shakes away from placing my order.

Earlier, I managed to complete a few tasks before receiving a call while running a few errands in town. I hadn't expected it so soon either.