42_Breadcrumbs

Danny 

"What do you mean they're gone?" I asked, halting amid drying my hair and holding the phone to my ear. My voice boomed unintentionally, and I inwardly chastised myself, even as the offputting news still hadn't registered.

A moment later, still disoriented and anxious, I apologized for my little outburst. And sweet as she was, Paege understood, "It's okay."

Thank God I hadn't frightened her. Then again, we'd leaned more into our vulnerability ever since the auction, so we grew to understand each other and what made us tick, a little more.

Paege understood me well enough not to take it in a fierce way. It was a knee-jerk response. Truth be told, I was completely thrown off guard and utterly flabbergasted by this unsettling turn of events. The idea alone seemed inconceivable.

How on earth had anyone managed to pull off napping our horses? I hadn't known Tempers that well enough to gauge her personality just yet. But the other one? I had him pegged.

I had learned Angel's particular mannerisms over the past few months. And let me just say, he was no runt of the litter. In fact, he was trouble, and could quite effortlessly be a thorn in the side.

For anyone to steal a horse takes either gut, or at the very least, a heaping dose of stupidity. I can't possibly number the number of people that I've heard of, or witnessed being bitten by horses when those horses felt threatened. A horse bite was not nearly as enticing as a massage. And that's just one defensive mechanism.

With Angel, I'm quite certain they got more than they bargained for. He was as stubborn as hell, and then some.

Sometimes, he could be so determined. For instance, the other day I went to take him on a ride, to get him some fresh air and exercise. Angel came out of his stall, fine. But when I tried to mount him, he moved away a little. And he did the same when I tried to mount him from the other side.

A little annoyed, I stepped back, placing my hands on my hips and looked at him with a deadpan like, "Really Angel?"

He huffed and tilted his head in my direction, levelling me with a gaze almost as if to say, "Yes, really!"

My point is he's like that with someone he was familiar with. Maybe even, liked, tolerated or held an affinity for. In my case, probably tolerated. So it absolutely baffled me.

How could a complete stranger manage to achieve that? Probably not without a few blows from the stallion.

"Baby don't move, ok?" I appealed to Paege. I couldn't get there quick enough. The defeat in her voice made me want to scoop her up and hold her close. I had no illusions about how devastating this news would be to her, so I knew she was in a state of shock. "I'll be right there."

No response came which put me on edge because if she couldn't at the very least communicate to me that she would, I wouldn't be ok.

"Paege?" When she didn't respond, I got worried and called to her again. "Baby?"

"Ok," She breathed out in barely a whisper, her soft voice coated in disenchantment.

Fortunately, I had just exited a cold shower and was in the middle of drying my dampened hair when my phone rang.

Thank God I had already brushed my teeth because just the defeat in her voice put me on edge.

I quickly donned a pair of denim jeans, a navy blue shirt and my boots, grabbing my phone and Stetson before marching out of my room.

Navigating briskly through the halls, I diverted to the kitchen pantry, stopping before making my way to Bell's room.

There was no use knocking lightly on the door because my sister wouldn't hear it in her sleep. However, I knew what she responded well to. Her love language, and favourite things in the world, all led back to her belly. So I entered, reaching her bedside in a few strides.