15_Silence

Paege

Night settled on the Andrew ranch.  

What remained of the day were shades of magenta, purple and orange with a whisper of yellow. 

Stars beamed across the expanse, all competing to be the brightest.

I inhaled deeply, allowing the cleansing evening air to fill me before exhaling in a sigh.

I glanced at my crutches. 

They stood against the railing, almost presenting themselves as tokens for what I'd been through.

I couldn't help but recall my near-fatal incident with Angel.

Since my accident, my mind seemed a darker more cynical place and tonight was no exception. 

It was difficult not to wonder what might become of me if Danny had been any later. 

Or hadn't come at all, for whatever reason.

How long would I be out there in the cold, unconscious or aware of my injuries, before someone noticed my prolonged absence? 

Would my body have succumbed to the intense cold? 

Or would a pack of wild animals feast on my aching flesh, until I was no more?

Regardless of my grievance with Daniel's obvious distaste for my sister, he was right. 

About her. 

About everything.

I mean, I could've died, and Jos would've been none the wiser, because she was too busy with her life, to check in on her sister. 

The idea both terrified and angered me.

Was that what our relationship had been reduced to? 

Mere acquaintances? 

Mom and Dad were probably rolling in their graves at our indifference to one another.

"Hi there," A voice startled me out of my thoughts. Turning around, I found Bell standing with her hand up in surrender. "Sorry, I didn't mean to give you a fright."

"It's ok," I smiled, genuinely happy to find myself in her company. 

To have an escape from my macabre concepts.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She asked, finding her spot beside me. 

Bell also leaned on her forearms against the handrails.

"I just," I began, sighing with a sad smile. "The incident. What if I'd died? My sister wouldn't have had any inkling. She doesn't call, text or write. Joslyn's all I've got, but she left me on my own. I love her deeply, but at the moment, I can't help but detest her for leaving."

"Oh, Paege," Bell began, brushing her hand gently against my back briefly before her hand returned to her side. "I can't claim to know what you've been through, but I know that so long as you have breath in your lungs, all things broken can be mended. You survived a terrible ordeal, which tells me you are strong and capable enough to weather this storm."

"When did you get to be so wise?" I smiled at her words.

"Oh, I can be," She chimed, nudging me gently in my arm. "Except, no one ever listens to me."

Bell turned to leave but before she could get too far, I touched her arm, garnering her attention. "Thank you."

"Any time," Bell embraced me, and I returned the gesture.