40_Mates

Danny

Something extraordinary happened. Something absolutely remarkable.

I mean, who would've thought? The odds of something like this happening were pretty slim. My thoughts were a bit muddled over recent events, and with good reason.

Paege had parted unwillingly with Tempers under the most heart-wrenching of circumstances. But who ... who would've thought, if she ever found her way back to Paege, she'd also be making her way to her mate?

The possibility alone was damn near inconceivable.

That's right! Tempers had found her mate. And on our ranch of all places. A certain stubborn stallion that had galloped his way into my life, and the reason I'd found the true love of mine.

Yes, apparently life was funny like that.

So, at this point, I should start looking out for unicorns, shouldn't I?

I initially noticed that something was up when Angel began to linger nearby Tempers.

He'd stay behind, instead of galloping ahead of his peers, and stretching his limbs in dominance over the spread of land, as he usually did.

His interest was subtle at first. Almost, like he was checking her out. But soon enough, it grew, eventually becoming more obvious once he began circling her when she paused to rest or graze a little.

More than one of my ranch hands had noticed the phenomenon, initially raising their concerns, finding it odd when compared to his earlier behaviour. Then they eventually realized what was the culprit.

A male's demeanour usually begins and ends with a female. And it just so happened that the newest edition to my family's ranch had arrived shortly before the drastic change in his behaviour.

I'd say the rascal was completely smitten. His strong silent demeanour suffered a blow and gave way to more vibrant and intricate antics in an effort to get her attention. He became more vivid and made a complete fool of himself around her.

It was comical really, and almost reminded me a little of myself. But I'd never admit that.

It was an amazing sight to behold. So, pardon my starstruck disposition on reflection on all that had occurred.

The prospect that–like us–our horses would find each other, form an undeniable bond, and start courting each other. Am I the only one who thought that was crazy?

But, as unlikely or absurd as it sounds, I was witness to their unfolding. And I probably wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Our horses, mates. The thought alone made me scoff and shake my head in disbelief, more often than not.

Like us, they'd grown awfully close over the past few weeks.

In comparison, Angel had not really warmed up to anyone in all his two-plus months of being on the ranch. He was barely friendly with any of the other horses. Yet, Tempers strolled unto the ranch and not a week later they'd developed a friendship.

Angel approached Tempers entirely of his own accord, sniffing and nuzzling her, in a display that was almost as incredible as it was endearing. And she seemed to tolerate his advances out of sheer curiosity. But it eventually developed into something more. Something mutual.

Tempers would squeal in delight but move a little distance away. She would stay close though, signalling that she was not yet ready to mate. But that in itself was amazing.

Of all the horses that could've formed an affinity for one another, at this moment in time, and on my family's ranch, Angel and Tempers were the lucky duo.