47_Aftermath

Paege

"What do you have up your sleeves, Mister?" I teased, giggling as he steered us to wherever; my fingertips pressing lightly against the back of his palm which shielded my eyes from the trail of breadcrumbs that led to his big secret.

"No peaking," He returned with an amused chuckle.

I couldn't be the only one who had no idea what to do with herself when a slew of butterflies had been unleashed in her stomach, now could I? That would be so unfair. Especially since the little buggers had crashed into me with no prior warning or remedial advice.

I guess that was bound to happen whenever he was around. Especially when he got me revved up.

So here we were. Him ... piloting, and me ... the unwitting but willing passenger, in the journey of unveiling what lies beyond.

Believe it or not, that was a huge deal for me.

Anyone who knew me, knew that I don't much like or care for secrets or surprises.

It was evident that Danny was up to something. That much I was certain about, but otherwise, I couldn't put my finger on it. Part of me had to suppress the nagging urge that I wouldn't like what awaited me behind the curtain. But another part of me had learned to lean on this man–to trust that his best interests aligned with keeping my heart happy.

So I went along with it.

Whatever my worst imaginings, the notion of him wanting to surprise me somehow stirred warm feelings in my tummy, and other less innocent sensations pulsating throughout my body, and in my nether regions.

Oddly enough, the gesture of a surprise excluding his involvement was less appealing to me. His stake in this mess, somehow shutdown my qualms about this evening, and meant more to me than I was comfortable admitting to myself.

How could one person have such a hold over me? That was an extremely scary thought to wrap one's head around. Especially if they had the innate ability to turn something negative in one's life, into a positive. And vice versa.

His effort had to count for something, didn't it? Certainly, if he'd apparently put a heaping dose of passion and love into the gesture. And by all appearances, that's what it was turning out to be.

Danny had us dress up, all fine, in a semi-casual ensemble, inadvertently giving away the verity and magnitude of the occasion. I knew it was something big. But what could be bigger than getting Angel and Tempers back? Better yet, bigger than his proposal?

Beats me, to be honest. But for one of a handful of moments in my life–including moments with Bell and his parents–I was giddy at the prospect of unveiling the outcome.

That couldn't be said for much of anything else, and for good reason.

Who could blame me, anyway?

Not the little nine-year-old girl who went in one morning to wake her mother for breakfast, only to discover she wouldn't open her eyes. A moment like that would stay with anyone, much less a child.

It had pretty much put me off surprises altogether.

As if that weren't enough, I returned home one afternoon–not long after our father passed on–to find my sister waiting with her bags packed, ready to leave.

I didn't care much for surprises after that. As one could imagine, these events hadn't swayed me towards surprises. Not in the least.

For some reason, my sister couldn't get out of there fast enough, and away from everything that reminded her of the tragedy that had struck our family.