14_Bonding Time

Danny

It was heartbreaking to know that Paege had been dealing with all these things alone. 

That she didn't confide in anyone about her loss and that the one person she had left in her life to grieve healthily with had left her. 

That I was the first person she'd told about it. 

It made me angry.

I leaned into the kiss, urgently but gently guiding the back of her neck so that her lips moulded into mine. 

There was something about this woman that I couldn't shake, that drew me in like light to moths. 

Whether it be because of her startling beautiful green eyes -- her intoxicating personality -- her ability to stand up to me despite the fact that I was intimidating to others, her elegance and gracefulness ... how captivating beauty ... or her love for horses.

Paege sat in my lap, raking her soft fingers through my hair. 

The action made me that much more aware of how close we actually were. 

Suddenly, she pulled away for air, breathing heavily as she did. 

I was saddened by the loss of contact but I was also happy to catch my breath.

My fingertips traced a line around her and neck the bottom of her chin, causing her to blush feverishly. 

I couldn't her but chuckle at her innocence. 

It was so refreshing.

"So what's the name of this sister of yours. I'd like very much to give her a piece of my mind of leaving my girl all alone." My mood suddenly went south at the thought.

"No, please don't, Daniel. Joslyn is hurt as much as I am. She's coping the only way she knows how." Paege defended.

"By leaving her baby sister alone - the only family she has left - to grieve on her own?" I held back my anger. 

The last thing I wanted was for her to be scared around me.

"I don't hold it against her. I just miss her more because of it." Paege cupped my cheek, bringing our foreheads together.

"I don't like that you've been dealing with this for so long on your own." I began. "You should have told someone."

With my forefinger, I traced her lower lip, flicking my gaze up to see a mischievous glint appearing in her olive eyes.

"And miss my chance to be vulnerable with you?" Paege placed a kiss on both my eyelids. "Never!"

I chuckled, inhaling her scent as pressing my nose in the hollow of her neck. 

The sound of neighing caught our attention, making us turn our heads at the same time.

Angel was there. 

He turned his head so that dark eye settled intensely on my gaze as though this were a staredown. 

I couldn't be sure but I thought it looked like he was brooding over something. 

I gathered Paege in my arms bridal style before hoisting her. 

She weighed nothing in my arms as we neared Angel's stall.

"I think your, boyfriend-" I indicated in Angel's direction. "-Doesn't like when I hold you."

"Daniel, Angel isn't accustomed to you yet that's all!" I lowered her feet to the ground so that she stood with her back against me.