44_Hopeless

Danny

Sigh. The last few hours–heck, the last few days–have been crazy.

Who would've thought that I would be sitting here right now, contemplating how my ex and her opportunist minions, my recent hires, had concocted an elaborate plan to snatch up the two newest editions to my ranch?

Scoff.

I can't make this stuff up.

But, it did happen. Ellie along with Benny and Shane had somehow met up and got it into their heads that it was a solid idea. That they could just take Angel and Tempers, cash in on their enormous worth and get away with it.

Satisfyingly enough, Benny and Shane had learnt how gravely mistaken they were. And Ellie's enlightenment would soon follow.

It was inconceivable that I had given those two imbeciles a shot to make a good living–make something tangible out of their lives, and they had spat in my face without a second thought.

We'd gone down to the sheriff's station after successfully apprehending the culprits to sort out the matter of the kidnapping of my horses. They were placed apart, in respective interrogation rooms, so that Hannah could get a good chunk out of them individually. And ascertain what had provoked this turn of events in the first place.

It became all too clear that neither of them held any remorse. In fact, we surmised that they had no feelings about the matter, at all.

Don't think for a minute that I cared. What got me riled up was the fact that I wasted my time on those two idiots. And their stunt very nearly shattered my girl.

I felt responsible for the entire charade regardless of the fact that I had o idea that it was brewing behind the scenes. After all, it had been under my watch that they'd been hired and I clearly hadn't done enough digging to know that they were capable of committing such an act without an inkling of a conscience.

Sigh.

Well–we all knew who was responsible. The woman whose name triggered the rise of bile at the mere thought.

Wherever she was, whatever she was doing, she wouldn't get very far. Unless she was smart enough to use an unassuming disguise to throw us off her scent.

A few deputies were out searching for her, right this moment. And I had no doubt that she'd be caught.

One way or another, she would be brought in and held in custody. It was a satisfying thought, knowing that it was only a matter of time before she got her just desserts.

Glancing briefly over to my left, I took in the state of the woman beside me.

Her head rested against the window, and her pretty eyes were closed. Soft puffs of air escaped her tiny button nose, her chest rising and falling in steady breaths.

I was happy that we got our horses back. But this sight got me all bent out of sorts.

She was almost completely drained of energy, due to the malicious intentions of three prats who wanted to make a quick dishonest buck at her expense.

Shaking my head, my grip tightened around the steering wheel. Inhaling and exhaling only went so far, to sate my anger. They would certainly pay. But would they truly get what they deserved?

The thought made me churn the longer I pondered on it.

Scoff. Isn't life funny that way?

On the upside, we're finally heading back home.