12_A Night To Remember

Danny

The town's potluck was carded for today, and everyone who was anyone was expected to be there.

Little Foot potlucks were the best, in my opinion.

The townsfolk got a special day to relax and mingle with each other, while indulging in the homemade cuisine of many of the town's notable women, and occasionally, men.

As much as I was fond of the affair, I couldn't permit myself to go.

Not when that woman couldn't, and shouldn't, be left alone.

Paege, that is.

She was still healing--mentally and physically.

Even if I could, I don't think that I would leave her.

I wanted to get to know her better, even if that meant missing one of the town's biggest events altogether.

It would've been Paege's first opportunity to experience this town's festivities, but considering her current state, she was not fit to go.

Instead, she had to rest--stay at home--so that she would heal in good time.

I remembered that night when I found her with blood along the side of her forehead, a swollen lip and side, the sick feeling that overwhelmed me, deep in the pit of my stomach.

If I remembered it well, as though we were trapped, I imagine that Paege couldn't rid herself of the image as well.

My mother and father would be attending the festivities as they did every year, but they seemed really bummed that Paege wouldn't be able to join them.

Bell didn't want to leave Paege alone either, but I ensured they took her with them.

My sister needed to clear her mind as well.

The farmhands had the rest of the day off, so that meant that Paege and I would have minimal interruptions.

She was the only woman that caught even an ounce of my attention for a long time, and now that she had it, I was going to see to it that she got the best of me.

I would make this a night to remember.

Since neither of us would be attending, I wanted her night to be a special one.

She needed a distraction, and one that would momentarily sway her thoughts from the terrible accident that had occurred-even if it was for a few hours-and if I could give her that, it would be the least I could do.

While she rested in the study, I took the liberty of preparing a nice dinner for her.

On the patio of the ranch, near the rear where barely anyone would visit, I had set up a table.

I thought that maybe she would appreciate the view of the stars.

The ambience was a romantic one, which I only noticed when everything was finished.

I went to fetch her from the study and found her, still sleeping peacefully on the sofa.

Taken aback, I allowed myself a moment to take her in, a few seconds before gently hoisting her into my arms.

She was still asleep against my chest as I neared the patio.

When we were some distance from the table, I kissed Paege on her forehead and watched as her eyes fluttered opened to meet my gaze.