23_Together

Paege

Evening fell over Little Foot as weeks of excitement culminated in the festive atmosphere which coated every inch of the town.

Cars packed the curb at either side and lively music poured into the street as I noticed a few guests, disembarking their vehicles, almost skipping to the venue.

Danny managed to secure a spot, parking the truck with minimal hassle. After we hopped out of the vehicle and shut the doors, he engaged the locking mechanism.

Bell declined Danny's offer to accompany us to the dance, despite my insistence, under the guise of hitching a ride with her parents. She had no desire to intrude or be a third wheel, she said.

Bell thought she was so smooth, but I was already on to her. That scheming little rascal, I mused with a smile.

"I'll see you there," Bell began innocently enough before an impish smile appeared on her face. "If you think you'll be able to get away from Danny for even a few seconds."

I knew exactly the type of plan she'd set in motion. Added to the fact that she couldn't shut up about how adorable she'd imagined our babies would be.

It was clear that she thought that I'd be the woman her brother chose to settle down with. Regardless, the last thing I wanted, was to coerce him into anything he wasn't ready for or would soon regret.

Though secretly, I found myself liking the idea of settling down with him, more and more.

Danny interlaced our fingers, guiding me across the street, causing a few guests who spotted us to whisper amongst themselves.

I couldn't say why but suddenly I felt inadequate standing next to him. Like I would never measure up to him in the town's or anyone else's opinion for that matter.

My steps slowed and he seemed to notice. "What's wrong?"

"I–" I began, suddenly conscious of my outfit. Everything. "–Maybe you should go on. I'll be in, in a minute."

"Baby, you're insane if you think I'm going to leave you out here," Danny informed, caressing my jawline with his thumb, his eyes flicking to my lips before darting back to mine. "Is it my outfit? I look like a penguin, don't I?"

"No," I shook my head vigorously, chuckling at his silly thought. "That's not it. You look amazing."

Danny released my hand, obstructing my path before raising one hand to caress my cheek in concern and then the other, effectively trapping me in his embrace while searching my gaze.

It was silly how much his touch affected me. After being on my own for so long, his calloused hands were like soft petals drifting on a summer breeze. Warm and welcoming.

"Then what is it?" He asked gently.

"I'm a little nervous," I exhaled, shutting my eyes while forcing the words out.

"Nervous? What about?"

"You, me, us," The words slipped from my lips, all on their own accord. "We haven't officially been out as a couple. People are already starting to talk."

"So let them," Danny inhaled, leaned in so that our heads touched. "You look absolutely stunning tonight."

"Danny, you know that's not what I meant," I wined, finally opening my eyes to meet his softened gaze which seemed to hold a note of amusement.

"I know," He drew me in, stealing a brief kiss despite my flustered state. "I want everyone to know that you are mine."

At his words, I couldn't help but blush and he chuckled, kissing my nose before pulling away slightly to observe me better.