29_Little Tremors

Paege

He regarded me, arms folded in resignation while pondering my question deeply. Effectively leading me to believe that he also thought it held some sort of merit.

His large frame obscured the path to the only viable exit in this place. Not that I was contemplating running or anything.

That train had left the station the moment I'd entered this secluded area ahead of him.

Besides, his aura held no trace of folly. In fact, quite the opposite, and I suspected that his volatile reserve of patience had been depleted on the matter.

His warm chocolate eyes glinted against slivers of sunshine that pierced the remaining orifices of the stable walls.

His gaze trailed a solitary caress over the length of my form, scorching a path on my skin.

The action alone gave rise to goosebumps, all the while stirring dormant butterflies in my stomach, as was the case whenever he was near.

Pathetic, I know.

Unfortunately, regardless how tiny the interaction between us, my mind wouldn't allow me to forget.

Instead, these cues, these subtle changes paraded about, kicking into overdrive depending on his proximity, acquainting me with many instances of my body's betrayal.

Resistance proved futile as I could no more deny the phenomenon than the air I breathe.

As if that weren't torture enough, my mind jarred loose the memory of his solid frame flush against my body, his lips consuming mine, in the backroom, not a week ago. How quickly the tide changed.

To think that I believed I'd grow beyond such sensitivities with time. Clearly, I'd been a fool.

He searched my gaze and I anticipated his response. However, upon losing my nerve, my focus wandered to the uneaten crumpet on my plate, no longer able to withstand his penetrating stare.

Truthfully, he needn't respond. Evidence from past experiences lingered in the memories we'd shared.

I knew enough of his character to inform criteria and help me formulate the aptest scenarios.

Danny was stubborn and impulsive. To say he'd stand idly by while another man kissed me, was not to know him at all.

Concurrently, even if our connection was a little strained right now, I'd still like to think that I knew him. Well enough to extrapolate what he would or wouldn't let stand.

He was stern like my father in that way. If someone had crossed a line, Dad wouldn't hesitate to lay down the law. And neither would he.

It's one of the many things that endeared me to him.

Earlier in the day, after I'd finished mucking out the stalls, a familiar red convertible caught my eye, rolling to a stop on the property.

Sure enough, its owner stood a great distance away, in a heated discussion with Danny.

I easily recognized the figure, concerning the scene that had been doing circuits around my brain for the past week, noting several undisputable features before concluding that the visitor was in essence his ex.

From his body language alone, I could tell he was agitated. Unsurprisingly though, that temptress didn't seem to budge.

Not until their conversation reached its climax, and by then the atmosphere around them seemed tenser, somehow.