46_Reflection

Danny

Gosh, this was so nerve-wracking.

From the moment she walked in ahead of me, I was completely on edge, and trying my best not to fumble or freak out. But, to find the right words.

Heaven help me, all I could do was hope to God that every one of my actions-since the auction gala-had done enough to get her off the mend and reassure her that I was thoroughly committed to making it up to her for the rest of our lives.

But would that be enough?

The silent question hung in the air, haunting me like a nagging insect. Doing absolutely nothing to help ease my intensifying fear.

In fact, pebble-sized knots began to form in my stomach as my eyes danced over and surveyed her pretty face. Apparently, I'd even subconsciously held my breath in nervous anticipation of the outcome.

What reaction would the occasion elicit from the woman I hoped to spend the rest of my life with?

Taking in the sight of her, I knew that come what may, I would remember this moment forever. Whether it would be filled with tremendous gratitude, or forlorn with the harshest dose of nostalgia-the jury was still out on that.

Observing her expression closely, I noted the crinkle near her eyes and a trace of a blush on her lips. An endearing scene if I ever saw one.

My heart hammered up a racquet in the interim, nearly breaking from within my chest. Ready to bolt like a startled animal.

True, I had done this once before. But even then, the experience had not been near a fraction as gut-wrenching as this. I am coming to the understanding that this was because what I'd harboured before, and what I held now, were in direct contradiction.

Whatever I had with my ex-it wasn't love. Because ... I'd never felt this way before in my entire life. Not until my dear sweet Paege.

That's why there was so much riding on this moment. And so much I stood to lose if things didn't go my way.

So I watched her closely, hoping somehow that her movement would telegraph or predict the most likely outcome. Although instead, the gracefulness of her movement simply bewitched me yet again, rendering me powerless to stare.

Her poise reminded me of a daisy drifting in the wind. She regarded the tender display, awestruck in a staggered twirl that was cut short abruptly. Her mouth hung open, slightly ajar and the palm of her hand pressed on her belly to maintain balance.

Meanwhile, I was a fortified wreck, clinging to nothing less than my waning confidence. Believe it or not, I had actually rehearsed this moment numerous times in my head.

I wanted to get it right. To make this moment perfect and every ounce memorable for her.

This was a colossal step for me. Especially given everything I'd been through to reach this precise position. But-it was only as good as the response it garnered from her. One, which would send ripples onward in time.

Would it ring of her unfailing love and hope for a future together? That remained to be seen.

But I could think of nothing else--no single gesture or alternative action--that could perfectly encapsulate the depths of my affection where she was concerned.

Would she have me? Or would her qualms about me withhold the possibility of one of my dearest hopes-a life together filled with adventure, heart-to-heart conversations, night walks, stargazing, and lots of giggling children?

The look on her face, as she took in the twinkling fairy lights and floral accents that had been draped thoughtfully along the interior wall of the corridor ... was everything.