17_Sweet Olives

Paege

That woman sure did a number on him.

I almost couldn't believe that Danny harboured even remote feelings of affection for me.

My body was still awash with scepticism.

I couldn't believe that we were here right now.

It felt like a dream.

Albeit, a good one.

Daniel had planned this big date for us, to make up for all the confusion and a statement that he was in this as much as I.

Added to that we'd barely seen each other much this week.

If that was even possible.

He had been working harder than usual.

I suspected that he was still uneasy about his confession and wanted to give us some time to breathe.

Besides, between the harvest and the crowded house, we had not been able to score a moment to ourselves.

He took it upon himself to solve that problem the only way he knew how.

A date.

The crisp night air settled in around us as Danny steered the truck down the secluded road.

There was barely any light around, save for the occasional streetlight and the high beams from his truck.

He seemed very optimistic about the surprise destination though if I was being quite honest, the darkness that surrounded us gave me pause so much so that I wondered where he was taking us.

However, I kept my inhibitions to myself, having no desire to destroy the mood he was working so hard to create for us.

After all, this was the first moment we'd managed to snag for ourselves away from all the chaos of our hectic lives and I appreciated his effort immensely.

Instead, I tried to enjoy the peaceful ride, taking in the odd silhouettes of trees and other landscapes off in the brief backdrops that lined the road.

Wherever this road took us, I would gladly go with him.

His hand found mine, entwining our fingers.

It was some time again before he turned off the road unto a trail, heading down a particular path.

My interest piqued as the headlights revealed the trunks of trees that paralleled our current path.

Further down the trail, the rush of waves caught my attention before he eventually rolled to a stop, killing the engine.

He hopped out of the truck, closing the door before heading to grab a few things from the backseat.

I hopped out of the truck as well.

He locked his vehicle before coming around the front to take my hand.

Daniel lead me, expertly might I add, down an outlined trail passed shrubs and trees that fostered the feeling of privacy we so longed for.

Together, we descended a slight incline until I could hear the pronounced rush of waves crashing against the shore.

Excitement coursed through me and a smile stretched my lips as we cleared the trees and the crunch of sand emanated my feet.

That wasn't even the best part.