6_The Apology

Danny

I looked on as Paege attempted to calm an uncooperative Angel. 

Her many attempts were done in vain thus far.

Thinking back on it now, I had been arrogant two days ago, as Paege had rightfully stated. 

There was no doubt what a fool I'd been. 

I had behaved unkindly towards her.

As a result, she avoided me at every opportunity.

Whenever we crossed paths, Paege would make some excuse to vacate the premises and did so without another word.

It was due to no fault of hers, that I had put her out of the truck, a few days ago. 

She had indeed struck a nerve. 

She'd called me arrogant and it had become my undoing.

Her words had only been uttered by one other person in the entire town. 

That person just so happened to be my ex-fiancé.

Yes. I had been engaged once before. 

To a woman, whose name, I had sworn never speak again. 

Ellie

A detail I'd never disclose to Ms. Masters, though it was the reason I got riled and retaliated.

I, however, couldn't fault her for thinking poorly of me if she did.

After all, like I'd behaved like a complete and utter ass. 

I put her out of my truck and drove off, fully intent on leaving her there. 

Out in the cold, on an eerily quiet road.

By now, she must have thought I had a poor upbringing. 

That I had no apparent morals or values. 

However, despite my actions, that couldn't be further from the truth.

There was just something about that woman that got me all riled up.

She looked angelic in her mom jeans and an oversized black T-shirt. 

Cute even, as she stood near the white-ringed fence of Angel's enclosure.

It appeared as though she was talking to him. 

Perhaps, reasoning with him.

The more I looked on, the more guilt welled up inside me.

"However you do it, you have to apologize. No, ifs, buts or maybes!" Bell had finally yelled when I had finished explaining.

I should apologize, but how would I accomplish that great feat, if she managed to disappear every time our paths crossed.

Thinking of a solution to this predicament, proved futile.

After a good few minutes of observing her, an idea finally struck and I would probably be brooded for it, even more.

I pushed off my left shoulder, away from the door frame, descending the porch before hot-footing my way over to her. 

Hopefully, I could catch her before she made her exit.

Upon reaching Ms. Masters, I took her by the hand, guiding her to the stables, despite her feisty protests. Several times, she made attempts to remove my hand, but I wouldn't budge.