Chapter Eight

It had been a long time since I had woken up next to my best friend. He still slept as wild as I remembered; throwing his leg over me, nuzzling into my back, constantly pulling me into his side. I honestly wonder how he's able to stay on my couch when he sleeps over at my place.

Having indulged in a few too many shots while playing drinking games that we hadn't played since our college days and talking until three in the morning, we decided I may as well stay the rest of the night. Still living the bachelor life, his futon didn't exactly look welcoming and I didn't feel right having him give up his bed for me.

After some contemplation, we both had a moment of clarity through our alcohol-infested brains when we realized that my daughter isn't around and won't even need to be picked up until the next evening so it was really unnecessary to not sleep in the same bed.

I can't lie and say it didn't feel awkward at first as we both crawled under the covers with me wearing his sweatpants and T-shirt and him in similar attire. But after a few minutes of just relaxing, the same content feeling that we used to have when we were younger came back to us, and soon we were drifting off to sleep.

Stretching to reach my cell phone on his nightstand, I tap the screen and see that it's almost ten in the morning. Even the last time my daughter stayed the night with a friend, I didn't sleep in this late and despite the fact of how much liquor I had to drink, I felt more refreshed than I had in months.

Tae's arm stayed heavily wrapped around my waist as he continued to softly snore. Turning to face him, I repeatedly brush the hair away from his eyes until I see the corner of his mouth lazily curling up a bit.

"Mm," A raspy hum comes from the back of his throat as he struggles to open his heavy eyes, "I feel like I'm in college again. Headache and all."

He smiles as he looks at me, squeezing me tighter as if he was trying to hug me before chuckling at my hair, "What happened to you?"

"I slept." Rolling my eyes, I smile back at him before sitting up and pulling my hair out of the bun and running my fingers through it to tame it, "I'll go get the Tylenol."

My legs swing over the edge of his bed as I slide off to walk towards his kitchen to grab a few pills for myself and him to take along with some water. Doing a quick glance in his fridge, I see that he has enough food to make a decent breakfast and decide to cook him something this morning since he made breakfast for Izzy and me during the last sleepover.

"Here you go." I say as I hand him two small white pills and pass him the glass of water after I've taken a sip for myself.

"Thanks." He mutters with his husky morning voice as he sits up to take his own dosage, "I had a really good time with you last night."

"Don't be weird." I scrunch up my nose at him.

"You don't be weird. I'm not being weird." He furrows his brow as he runs his hand through his hair, "Wanna order something to eat?"

"I figured I could cook you breakfast for once." I mention as I take the cup from him, "It should be ready in about fifteen minutes."

"Don't have to tell me twice. I'll be in the shower while you cook." He hops off the bed, leaving me a kiss on my cheek before going straight into his bathroom.

As I pull out the ingredients to make him his favorite omelette, my mind wanders off to the first time I cooked on my own for him - or well, attempted to:

»»————- Flashback ————-««

Another birthday to celebrate together comes back around as the afternoon bell rings signaling that school was over for the day. Unfortunately, Tae's birthday landed on a random Tuesday and both of his parents had to be out of town for work this year, leaving me to feel responsible to make sure my best friend in the entire world felt special.