Chapter Ten

"Was there a specific style you were thinking about trying first? Now, keep in mind that your wedding date is set for the fifth of June, so even though you may be a bit chilled right now, it will be hot then." I ask the bride-to-be as we walk into the bridal boutique together with her mother and maid of honor in tow.

Taking a sip of champagne that was offered to us by one of the employees, the mother waves her hand in the air dramatically, "God, just whatever you do, do not get one of those slutty skin-tight numbers."

"I don't know if I'll like that style or not, mother." The bride, Emily, flatly states as she walks up to one of the mannequins wearing a trumpet style before turning to me, "Would it be possible to try on one of each style to get an idea?"

"Yes, of course." I reply with a genuine smile before excusing myself to the back of the store to speak with my favorite consultant.

Emily had expressed to me when we first met that her mother could be a bit overbearing so I had braced myself for this moment of meeting her for the first time. Thankfully, her maid of honor was around to help offer her support and I would step in when I needed to to help her out as well. At the end of the day, this is about Emily. It is her day, her dream, her style, and her money being spent.

I'm so glad my mother is much more supportive than some of the ones I've met in this field of work.

I spot Emily and her maid of honor looking at the bridesmaid's dresses as they wait to be assisted while her mother chats it up with some other woman nearby and I'm happy for the opportunity to get a look into what Emily wants rather than what her mother thinks.

"See anything you like?" I question once I've reached them.

"Amy likes the cut of this one and I think this blush color would match the theme well." Emily states happily.

Her midsummer night's dream-themed wedding choice consisted of a mix of blush pink, olive green, and lots and lots of plants and flowers against a starry night sky along with fairy lights, candles, and airy fabrics. The moment she told me the wedding date she sought after and the fact she wanted to get married at night in the summer, I knew exactly what kind of essence she was looking for.

From that point on, she and I clicked, and has been a joy to work with. From cake tasting to choosing the invitations, she has honestly been one of the more lovable brides I've ever encountered. I should have known her mother wouldn't be as easy.

"I think that cut would be perfect!" I smile at her as I pull it out to take a look at it, "We can find a dress in this cut, but with chiffon and try it out once we've decided on your dress."

"Don't tell me you're going to be allowing Amy to wear something like that. She'll need to lose at least twenty pounds to not look absolutely atrocious in your wedding photos." Her mother revolts as she approaches us once again.

Immediately, I look towards Amy with eyes that tell her to not pay her any attention. On her worst day, Amy was a size six and nowhere near fat. The last thing I want is to have either the bride or any of her bridesmaids starving themselves or getting low self-esteem. It's the twenty-first century for goodness sake. When will we stop valuing women based on their weight?

"What about you? Any ideas for the mother of the bride dress?" I inquire, drawing the attention away from the girls.

Almost two hours later and Emily has tried on just about every single style of dress. Ballgown was out of the question due to its extra material and the fact the overall shape didn't fit the vibe. When the bride got to the mermaid and trumpet styles, she agreed that they weren't her favorite and a little uncomfortable for her to move around in stating she rather feel free than like she was a walking mummy.