Chapter Thirty-Two

"Okay, kids, time for afternoon snacks!" The preschool teacher yells out from the front of the class as all of the kids rush to their cubicles to take out their snacks from their random assortment of backpacks.

Izzy smiles to herself as she pulls out the little plastic Tupperware of sliced apples and grapes that Tae Tae had packed for her this morning while her mommy got ready for work. Last night, she found out that her mommy and her best friend were boyfriend and girlfriend now, just like in the fairytales she watches at home, and ever since then, she hadn't been able to contain her excitement.

She had seen her friends with their dads when they'd come to class or pick them up at the end of the day and it always made her feel unincluded. She didn't have a daddy at home like her classmates and even though Tae Tae was around, he still wasn't in love with her mommy.

But now that he is, the world seemed a little brighter and her snacks tasted a little sweeter. Today, she wouldn't feel sad when her best friend's dad came to pick her up or frown when she'd overhear kids talking about their weekend spent with their family. For the first time, she felt like she was going to have the family she always wanted.

Now she just hopes that one day her mommy will plan a princess wedding for her and Tae Tae, better than all of the other weddings her mommy plans for work. Her mommy was the prettiest princess and Tae Tae was the most handsome prince after all. Much more handsome than the dads she sees every day.

"My dad is taking me to the park after school." One of the slightly older boys in her class turns around to tell her with his friend taking a bite into a cookie as he watches along, "Does your dad take you to the park, Izzy?"

Rolling her eyes sassily, the one eating a cookie starts to chuckle before she had a chance to respond, "She doesn't have a dad, remember?"

"Oh, that's right. Her dad didn't want her." The first boy turns back around and the two high-five each other.

Franklin and Noah always teased her about being the only kid in their class without a dad and since Taehyung and her mom weren't married, according to them, it didn't count if Tae showed up for Doughnuts With Dad or to pick her up from school sometimes. Every day those two boys would find a moment to say something to her about it, rubbing it in her face that something about her was different from the rest of the kids.

Her blood boiled as she stared at the back of Franklin's head, his red hair only adding fuel to the fire, irritating her beyond her limits. 

She was tired of this ongoing bullying and putting up with it in order to try to not get into trouble or worry her mommy. Her happier demeanor earlier faded as she breathed heavier and heavier out of her nose, worrying the quiet girl that was assigned to sit next to her. Izzy held it all inside for as long as she could until she felt herself lose self-control as she picks up her Tupperware bowl and throws it at the back of Franklin's head, letting apple slices and grapes scurry across the classroom.

"Isabelle James!" The teacher calls out immediately and all of the other kids look back at her in surprise. Izzy wasn't one to normally get in trouble.

Turning around to look at her, Franklin quietly sneers, "At least you don't have to worry about getting in trouble by both parents."

"Come with me, Izzy." The teacher says as she walks up to her table, holding her hand out. 

Izzy's eyes tear up immediately and wet streams begin to pour down her round, flushed cheeks as she keeps her head hung low on the way out into the hallway. She could feel the gazes of every kid and could hear the steady giggles of the two boys that she wishes would just disappear.