Chapter Nineteen

Small hands push on to my side, doing their best to get me to wake up. Although Taehyung and I didn't stay out super late last night, given that this morning is Christmas Day, I still feel like I could use at least another two hours of sleep.

"Mommy, get up. Santa came. Mommy!" Isabelle whines as she starts to push me even harder, eventually turning to press her back up to mine for more leverage.

Quickly turning over, I wrap her in my arms and pepper her face with kisses causing her to giggle from all of the affection. As much as I would love to be selfish some mornings and just sleep in, mommy duties call and I have no choice but to quite literally rise to the occasion. 

My phone dings before we have a chance to get off of the bed so I grab it off of the charger to see who it is, groaning at the fact it's only just barely after seven in the morning.

Taehyung:
Merry Christmas to
you and Izzy! I'll be
over to eat lunch 
with your family.

Recognizing his name and hers, Isabelle begs for me to read her what the message said while I typed out a quick reply.

Merry Christmas 
from both of us!
I'm exhausted, but
she is a ball of energy lol
See you later. Drive safe in
the snow, please!

Taehyung:
I promise

Slipping on my house shoes while Izzy impatiently bounces in one spot, I toss on a sweatshirt and tie my hair up out of my face, giving her the go-ahead that we can leave out of the bedroom.

The living room was jam-packed with presents mostly for the kids while the adults conjugated onto the couch. I find a comfortable little spot to wedge myself in between my mom and Aunt Gigi as the kids start to tear into their presents right away. 

"Figured you may need this." Aunt Gigi hands me a cup of coffee with a wink.

"I definitely do. Thank you." I graciously accept the small mug, taking a sip of the liquid gold. Not typically being a coffee person, I didn't always opt for such a morning drink, but today was a good enough exception.

"That's a lovely necklace. When did you get that?" My mom asks seeing the two swans sitting on top of my oversized sweatshirt.

"Oh, uh, Tae gave this to me for Christmas." I reply, not giving it much thought until Aunt Gigi secretly pinches my side to remind me that I was supposed to be home last night, "Yeah, he gave it to me at the parade yesterday. Put it on this morning."

"He always gives you the loveliest gifts." She praises, patting my knee before standing up to help one of the boys pull out a larger present from behind the tree.

"Nice save." Aunt Gigi giggles once my mother is out of earshot.

It takes over an hour for the children to unwrap every single one of their gifts. The boys gravitate to the toys that currently grab their attention while Izzy ends up falling asleep partially under the tree holding onto the cute little stuffed Pomeranian and baby doll Taehyung had bought for her. Only the gifts to or from the adults are left under the tree and those will be left to be opened until we all eat lunch together as per tradition.

Shaking my head at the little sleeping princess, I decided to let her continue to rest there while I go ahead and get dressed. Back in the day, Christmas was much more relaxing; open presents, take a nap, eat lunch, play with toys. That was about the gist of it, but now as an adult, it requires actually cooking the food, cleaning up the mess, and having places to be at a certain time. 

As the warm water of the shower washes over me, I smile to myself as I remember our first Christmas away from home when the roads were too bad to drive and we were stuck on the college campus.