Chapter Twenty-Nine

Taehyung glances up from his sketchbook every few seconds to admire his girlfriend

Taehyung glances up from his sketchbook every few seconds to admire his girlfriend. Ria sits across from him on her bed typing away on her laptop while she gets caught back up with work, dressed in one of his T-shirts and wearing her black-rimmed glasses. Small wispy pieces of hair frame her face ever so gracefully while the rest was tied up into a messy bun. She wore no makeup yet looked even more beautiful to him than when she was all glammed up.

Smiling to himself when he sees her look up at him with a squint of her eyes to almost telepathically tell him to get back to work, he bashfully lowers his head and continues to try to focus on the building design for the newest hotel project he was awarded after receiving an email yesterday morning from his boss.

Even though it was New Year's Day and neither one of them technically had to work, they both knew that putting off their responsibilities would only cause more problems for them later in the week. Tae knew how much Ria was a workaholic anyway and seeing her be so focused on her tasks made him fill with pride. How could he be so lucky to have been blessed with such a phenomenal woman in his life?

Unable to be as attentive to detail at the moment, he lets his mind wander off to another time in their lives when things weren't as they are right now. Before he knew what life was going to offer him:

»»————- Flashback ————-««

The university library was quiet as students obsessed over their studies and avoided talking too loudly amongst one another. Even the sound of their footsteps seemed too loud against the wood flooring.

Turning his attention away from staring at a random girl who caught him in the act of being lost in a daydream, he opens up one of the books he pulled out of his backpack and turned to the chapter he was supposed to be reading. His final exams were coming up within a week and as long as he passed those, he'd soon be walking the stage with his classmates and his very pregnant best friend. Both of them had been working extremely hard to graduate before the baby arrives.

His eyes lift again to search for her. It seemed as if his worry hadn't subsided ever since she started to show and especially when he accompanied her to one of her ultrasounds. Seeing the baby's heartbeat on the black and white screen made this whole situation seem even more real but not as bad at the same time.

The little gummy bear-looking figure on the screen with the flickering heartbeat was now known to be a baby girl growing rapidly day-by-day and even though Ria was sick of carrying the extra weight, sick of being hungry, sick of having swollen feet, and not being able to partake in all of the events their friends would participate in, they were both feeling blessed by the little bundle of joy that would soon enter their lives.

Taehyung feels a sting in his chest as he recalls once again how he acted towards her when she was confirmed to be pregnant. Having paced the lobby of the doctor's office while he waited on her to come out, he had hoped and prayed that maybe, just maybe, the home test gave a false positive. It was rare according to the little paper insert inside of the box, but it wasn't entirely possible.