Chapter Eighteen

8:53 pm

8:54 pm

Staring at the old school alarm clock next to his twin-sized bed, Taehyung fiddles with his thumbs as he waits for it to show 8:55 pm. Knowing he couldn't leave too early without running the risk of being caught by her parents, he had to be patient enough to sit still until he knew they would for sure be in bed by the time he got to her house.

He chuckles at himself for both acting like a teenager again and for feeling nervous to see her. It was both maddening and exhilarating not being able to get her off of his mind. The hot nervousness he feels in his gut intensifies with every passing second until the clock finally strikes 8:55.

Sliding off of the bed, he takes one last look at his reflection in the long mirror hanging from the back of the closed closet door, letting a long exhale depart from his softly puckered lips. Tonight wasn't going to be like back when they were teens. Who was he kidding? Things were different now, but the hopes for what the possibilities could be between them made him anxious for the future.

As if it was a well-rehearsed routine, Taehyung cuts off his car lights and shuts off the engine once he reaches the mailbox of her parent's home. Creeping around the edge of the large yard, he did his best to avoid any sticks or anything that may make too much noise as he crouched down to try to hide in the shadows. Knowing this home like it was his own, he knew exactly where to walk to avoid tripping the motion censored lights and smiles to himself that he's still as stealthy as he used to be once he reaches the side of the home.

With very calculated steps, he walks even more carefully as he passes under the lit window of the boy's room, unsure if they would snitch or not. They were still young kids and it wouldn't surprise him one bit if they made a fuss over their cousin sneaking out on Christmas Eve, knowing the rules of the house as well.

His heart felt like it was going to beat straight out of his chest by the time he turned the corner and could see her bedroom window at the back of the house. So far, he hasn't gotten caught and a silent nervous giggle overtakes him before he schools his features enough to tap on her window.

Two taps, a pause, and one more. The code to let her know it was him had been used ever since he started sneaking her out of the house for their first house party in eighth grade where apparently there was going to be seven minutes in heaven and spin the bottle, but they both ended up playing basketball together instead that night.

He waits for a second before attempting again. It was cold as shit outside and he knew the longer he stayed out there, the more chance he had to be caught by someone. Neighbors included.

"Three times a charm." He whispers as he raises his knuckle to try once more. Starting to feel a little let down that maybe they went to bed early tonight or maybe Aunt Gigi forgot. Or worse... maybe her parents didn't go to bed at nine like they always had in the past.

Before he can knock again, the curtain slides back and he sees Ria smiling down at him as she quietly raises the window to talk to him. Seeing her beautiful face was all the reassurance he ever needed that everything was going to be all right.

"What are you doing here?" She whispers, folding her arms on the window sill and placing her chin on them as she lowers herself to be eye level with him.

"I'm breaking you out, kid." He smirks, repeating the words he used to say back in their younger days, "Wanna come out with me tonight?"

"Tae, I'd love to, but I can't just leave Izzy. You know that." She frowns, giving him saddened eyes at having to turn down his proposal.

Aunt Gigi walks over to the window, wrapping her arm around her niece and pulling her into her frame, "I got Isabelle. Go... have fun."

Looking over at her for a moment, Ria's eyes light up when they flit over to Taehyung offering a wide boxy grin before looking back at Aunt Gigi, "You knew he was going to sneak me out, didn't you?"