Chapter Thirty-Eight

Shutting his car door, Miles pulls the hair tie away from his mousy-brown hair and rakes his fingers through it before tying it away from his face again, a habit he's always done whenever he was deep in thought

As much as he would have liked to, Victoria was always that one girl he was never able to get out of his mind and as the years go on, the constant flashes of her in his memory started becoming more and more of an obsession. Many nights he couldn't sleep, replaying videos from their college days and browsing photos on an old digital camera. Even the relationships he had afterward wouldn't last as those women always felt that they were in an unwinnable competition with his past.

Even after trying to groom them to resemble Victoria's physical appearance and even coaxing them to speak how Victoria used to, laugh how she laughs, it was never good enough for him. At the end of the day, they weren't her.

They weren't Victoria James.

Some even referred to him as psychotic as they gathered their things and left his apartment, thinking they were breaking his heart. What a laughable misconception that was.

For the last couple of years, he tried to move on but the ever-growing need to have Victoria as his own again started consuming him to the point where it felt like he was being eaten alive. Every second, every minute, thoughts of her replayed over and over on a loop as he felt himself losing his mind. To him, they were meant to be. She was meant to be his and his only, no matter what.

But there was one thing, well, two actually, that he knew would be a challenge to get what he wants.

Kim Taehyung, the best friend that was always in the fucking way, and her daughter, the little girl he still didn't fully believe was his. Two very big challenges but things he would find a way to deal with to get what he wants... what's rightfully his.

"Best friend," he scoffs to himself as his hands grip tighter onto the steering wheel until his knuckles became white. Kim Taehyung was always there. Always getting into her head and not minding his own fucking business. Forever being the one to insert himself into their relationship and be the cause of most of their arguments.

Taehyung said this, Taehyung saw that. Ugh! It was irritating to hear his name so many times a day back then. Even when she was happy it was always Taehyung this and Taehyung that. Even his nicknames, Tae or Tae Tae, irritated him. The thought of the man sends an almost metallic taste to his mouth.

Yes, Miles was sleeping with random girls back in college but what business was that of Taehyung's? Why couldn't he know his fucking place? 

"I'll tell you why," Miles sneers as he looks at himself in the mirror, "because that son of a bitch was wanting to fuck her all along, and guess what?" He smirks as continues to look at his reflection, "That bastard and my girl are together now. What do you know? I knew I was right all along."