Chapter Fifty-Two

With Miles in custody, we feel like we can breathe a little easier

With Miles in custody, we feel like we can breathe a little easier. While it's not a guarantee that he'll serve any additional time for the crimes he's committed, due to the proof of being stalked there's still a high possibility that I'll, at least, be granted a no-contact order. The whole concept of that blows my mind anyway. 

There's really no assurance that he will truly stay away when, or if, the judge approves of my request but it will help me to get him arrested if he does come in contact with me again. 

But who's to say that I'd even be allotted the opportunity to get to escape from him again to even get the police involved in the first place? The first attack was completely out of the blue and he was able to corner me with ease. How do I know he won't be able to do that again?

Still, it's seeming like my only option without full proof that he was my attacker. My word against his, as so I was told. And even though it may not be much, a no-contact order is all it's looking like I can get right now. Justice, what a load of crap! All of this, of course, weighs heavy on our hearts but we do the best we can to push through to another day and enjoy the almost carefree freedom while we can. 

Pulling into the parking lot of one of the furniture stores we had been thinking about checking out, Taehyung and I smile at each other before stepping out. This is what we were supposed to have been able to do a week ago. We were supposed to have our new furniture picked out and delivered by now and even be possibly hosting a housewarming party with our loved ones. So while it may seem like an insignificant errand to most, today felt a little bit more special to us.

"I like this one," Taehyung plops down on an ugly brown leather sofa that makes my nose scrunch up at the thought of having that particular piece in our home. "But... I take it you hate it." He chuckles and slowly gets up with the sound of the leather pulling and twisting underneath him.

Smiling without needing to confirm his suspicion, I swing my hair over my shoulder and gradually walk around looking at the plethora of options. I spot a cream-colored suede sectional that looks so comfortable and inviting out of the corner of my eye and head straight over with a violent plop onto it right where the two sections meet.

With a grin and my arms spread out wide, I look up at him with excited eyes, "I love this one!"

"Yeah, sure... it's nice." He walks up to me with his hand outstretched for mine and a grin, "But with an almost four-year-old, I doubt a cream-colored suede sofa would be the smartest of choices."

Sighing, I nod my head and accept his outstretched hand. Looking back at it as we start to walk away, I slightly pout as my vision for light and neutral serene decor like you see on Pinterest and YouTube start to look like no more than a far-fetched dream.

Putting his arm around my shoulder, Tae kisses my forehead to try to cheer me up a little as we make our way past some very out-of-the-box-looking furniture. I'm all for modern decor but there's a limit. Some of this doesn't even look remotely comfortable or inviting.