Chapter Fifty

Ria sits in the middle of their bed with her knees brought up to her chest

Ria sits in the middle of their bed with her knees brought up to her chest. Her reddened eyes glisten with salty sadness as she blankly stares out of the window on the other side of the room. Raindrops slide down the glass as she blinks every few seconds to allow the tears to slowly drip down her sunken cheeks mimicking the gloomy weather outside.

After speaking with the police officer, they informed her that they would be investigating the matter and collecting evidence that will help her in the long run. Since this happened in a public office building, there was bound to be camera footage of at least part of the attack if not the whole thing if the cameras inside of the elevator were working.

Unfortunately, that was not the case.

While they were able to find him parking along the alleyway that day and footage of him pulling into the building mere minutes before or after she did over the past few weeks, they weren't able to find any evidence of the attack itself, making it no more than his word against hers. Even though the detective believes her completely, the court would need more evidence to charge him.

She felt more vulnerable than ever and the night terrors seem to be increasing with every day that Miles is walking around freely. It's been six days to be exact. Thankfully, due to the circumstances, both of their jobs are allotting them time away from work with continued pay since their lives could be at stake. After being questioned by the police, each of their bosses thought it was in not only their best interest to not come to work but also for the safety of their staff.

The doorbell rings and Taehyung reluctantly gets up from laying across the foot of the bed. Ever since they got home, he hasn't left her side for more than a few minutes to take a quick shower or make some food that she barely eats. She was mentally struggling so much that he felt completely helpless and like there was nothing he could do to ease her pain. The only thing that seemed to bring her any kind of solace was him staying within close proximity as being alone seemed to terrify her right now.

"I'll be right back, okay?" He softly says to her, his heart stinging when she doesn't even respond with more than an exhausted glance in his direction.

Hurrying down the stairs to answer the front door when it rings for the second time, he already knows it's the cop on duty checking in. While it's not a permanent solution, it's at least something to help keep them safe. A cop on each end of the street is to stay posted at all times with check-ins every other hour due to Miles's apparent history of violent criminal activity and domestic abuse, two things neither of them knew about during the entire time Ria was unknowingly being stalked. And although they can't seem to be able to find a home address for him to bring him in for questioning or even serve him court papers, the police have reason to believe he may not be willing to let Ria go so easily, especially with a child being involved.

Answering the door, Tae informs the officer on duty that everything is fine in the home and thanks him for checking in. Shutting the door, he takes the brief moment to take a few deep breaths and looks at himself in the mirror in the entranceway.