Chapter Forty-Two

Parking alongside the curb, I put my hazard lights on and wait for the cars to clear before opening up my driver's side door

Parking alongside the curb, I put my hazard lights on and wait for the cars to clear before opening up my driver's side door. The airport was much busier this time of day and it took me longer than anticipated to be able to get to the designated area for arrivals.

My heels click and clack against the pavement and sidewalk as I briskly walk through the automatic doors and look for the sign leading towards the baggage claim area. Seeing the little arrow pointing to the right, I turn in that direction and begin the long trek down the brightly lit hallway, keeping my eyes peeled for one of the loves of my life just in case his flight had arrived a bit earlier than scheduled.

He had told me he'd be landing at three o'clock and even though I'm here on time, I still didn't want to miss out on seeing that beautiful boxy smile the moment he walks through the automatic doors at the other end of the hall.

I had taken a little extra care today with styling my hair and picking out a cuter than usual outfit for work, one that he's been known to compliment me on more than one occasion. The cream-colored trousers that hug my curves in all of the right areas matched with the rest of my cream-colored attire, including the peacoat, fitted sweater, and beret that he had bought me a couple of years ago. He always said I looked like I stepped out of a Parisian magazine and it boosted my confidence every time I put this outfit on but with it being prone to stains, I wore it very seldomly.

It always made me smile that he would appreciate even my most modest outfits just as much as my sexier ones but his absolute favorite, according to him, was when I was lounging around the house in a baggy shirt and my hair tied away from my face. He truly loves me in all forms and I couldn't be more appreciative of that fact.

Finding the baggage carousel marked with his flight number, I sigh out in relief when I see that it's still bare, informing me that they have yet to begin to unload the luggage. Grabbing my phone out of my coat pocket, I smile at the text message from him stating that they just landed only a minute prior and that it's hard for him to stay in his seat due to his excitement. I love the boyish charm he still possesses but knows when he should step into a more adult role. 

It was something he was unknowingly teaching me how to do; let loose and remember that even though I am a mother with responsibilities, I am still young and allowed to experience things in life. Even as a friend, he was always showing me how to live in the moment when I was with him, and because of that, I've always felt the freest when I was in his presence.

The sound of multiple voices shakes me from my thoughts while being lost in the video he had sent me last night of him by the pool. As I turn my head towards the automatic doors, I see a large group of people with carry-on bags walking towards the baggage claim area, and an involuntary smile begins to spread across my face. Tucking in my lips, trying to not look like an idiot standing alone smiling to themself in front of a bunch of strangers, I impatiently search for the one who holds my heart.