15 - Desperate Souls

Flashback

A human Rumpelstiltskin was spinning straw in a crude-looking house, as a young Delphinia, 6 years old, was pouring them two glasses water when there was a knock at the door and a messenger walked in.

"Rumpelstiltskin, a letter from the front line," The messenger said and Delphinia looked over.

The messenger left as Rumpelstiltskin read the letter and his eyes widened, he looked at Delphinia is sorrow, "Delphinia..." Rumpelstiltskin said.

Delphinia walked over to him and he handed her the letter, she took it and looked at it confused, "I...I don't understand Rumpel..." Delphinia said.

"Your father... He... He..." Delphinia looked at him, "He's been killed in the war," Rumpelstiltskin said.

Delphinia's eyes widen as tears fell, "No... Daddy can't be gone, mommy's gone, I'm alone," Delphinia said as she 

Rumpelstiltskin pulled her close, putting her on the bench with him, "You're not alone, you can say with me and Baelfire as long as you need to... We will look after you," Rumpelstiltskin said.

Delphinia hugged him, "Thank you Rumpelstiltskin," Delphinia said and he hugged back.

Baelfire frantically rushed inside, "Papa! Papa! They've come for Morraine," Baelfire said.

Rumpelstiltskin, Delphinia and Baelfire go outside, they watched from a distance as several knights dragged the young girl away from her screaming parents.

"No!" The Mother said.

"No! Please! Please!" The Father said.

"No! No, don't take her! No! No, you can't take her! She's my baby! Don't take my baby!" The mother said.

"Nonsense. She's a fine, strong girl. She'll make a fine soldier," Hordor said.

 She'll make a fine soldier," Hordor said

"It's a mistake, she's turning fourteen. Only fourteen!" The father said.

"Orders of the Duke! The Ogre Wars have taken their toll this season. More troops will turn the tide," Hordor said.

"They lowered the age again, Papa," Baelfire said.

"I know," Rumpelstiltskin said as he held his son close and Delphinia held onto his sleeve.