16 - Desperate Souls

Mr Gold was in the pawnshop staring at the flame from a light, Regina walked in and he put the flame out.

He turned to her, "Regina," He watched as she flipped the sign on the door to closed, "Shall I move some things? Make a bit of space for your rage?" Mr Gold said as he noticed the angry look on her face.

"You found that loophole in the town charter," Regina said.

"Legal documents, contracts, if you like. Always been a fascination of mine," Mr Gold said.

"Yes, you love to trifle with technicalities," Regina said.

"I like small weapons, you see. The needle, the pen, the fine point of a deal. Subtlety, not your style, I know," Mr Gold aid.

"You're a bastard," Regina said.

"I think your grief's getting the better of you, Regina. Shame what happened to Graham," Mr Gold said.

"Don't talk about him. You know nothing," Regina said.

"What is there to know? He died," Mr Gold said.

"Are you really going up against me?" Regina questioned.

"Not directly. We are, after all, both invested in the common good. We're just picking different sides," Mr Gold said.

"Well, I think you picked a really slow horse this time. It's not like you to back a loser," Regina said.

"She hasn't lost yet," Mr Gold said.

"She will," Regina said.

"Never underestimate someone who's acting for their child. It's funny, I saw something in Alana Swan today, something I haven't seen, fire," Mr Gold said.

"He's not her child. Not legally," Regina said.

"Oh, now who's trifling with technicalities?" Mr Gold questioned.

At Granny's Diner, Henry was sitting at a booth, reading a newspaper and Alana and Emma walked in, Alana sat next to him as Emma sat in front of them.

"How was school?" Alana asked.

"Okay," Henry said.

"You're reading that paper pretty hard," Alana said.

"Sidney wrote it," Henry said and passed it to her.

Alana looked at the front page, to see an article titles Ex-Jailbird - Alana Swan birthed babe behind bars. Alana looked at Emma who was looking at the front page.

"Is it a lie?" Henry asked.

Alana hesitated a little, "No," Alana admitted.

"I was born in jail?" Henry asked her.

"Yes," Alana looked at the paper, "These records were supposed to be sealed," She looked back at Henry, "Tell me you're not scarred for life," Alana said.

"I'm not. Well, not by this," Henry said.

"Good. Then, let's throw this out..." Emma took the newspaper from her sister and Alana and Henry looked at her, "And we will get our news from something more reliable. Like the internet," Emma said.

"Well, it's more reliable than Sidney," Alana commented.

"Exactly," Emma said.

"This is what I've been trying to tell you both," The twins looked at Henry, "Good can't be evil, because good doesn't do this kind of thing. My mom plays dirty, that's why you can't beat her. Ever," Henry said.