17 - True North

Henry was in The Dark Star Pharmacy by the comic books, he was flipping through one when a girl, who was roughly Henry's age, approached him.

"Whatcha reading?" The girl asked.

"The Hulk versus Wolverine," Henry said.

"I'm Ava. I think I've seen you around school. You're in Miss Blanchard's class, right?" Ava asked.

Henry nodded and another boy close to their age walked up to Ava, "Almost ready, Ava?" The boy asked.

"This is my brother, Nicholas," Ava said.

"Hi. Come on, let's go," Nicholas said.

"You want to come hang out?" Ava offered.

"Sure!" Henry said.

The three go to leave the store but they were stopped by the shop keeper, Mr Clark, who was looking at Henry, "Where the hell do you think you're going? Open up your bag," Mr Clark said.

"What?" Henry said.

"Don't think I didn't see you rob me. Open your bag," Mr Clark said.

"I didn't take anything," Henry said.

Mr Clark took Henry backpack, looked through it and he pulled out a fistful of candy, "And a liar, too," Mr Clark said.

Henry looked at Ava, "That's why you were talking to me. So your brother could put that stuff in there," Henry said.

"Henry..." Henry turned back to Mr Clark, "I'm shocked," Mr Clark looked at Ava and Nicholas, "And you two, just who do you think you are?" Mr Clark said.

Flashback

In the forest, a man was hacking at a tree with an axe until he managed to topple it. Gretel and Hansel appeared from behind another tree.

"Ah! A fine specimen. The wood it provides will keep our family's hearth warm this winter," The woodcutter said.

"Can't I have an axe?" Gretel asked.

"Huh?" The woodcutter said as he looked at her confused.

"You did say you wanted me here so I could help," Gretel said.

"That I did. So, here's your task, take the cart, go fill it with kindling. The dried the better," The woodcutter said.

 The dried the better," The woodcutter said