✰ 8 ✰

❶❹ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓕𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷 ❶❹

Valack pressed his hands to the glass desperately as he looked at Brooke, Stiles and Lydia on the other side. The sound of the approaching Dread Doctors still very much prominent. "Hit record. Do it now. It costs you nothing." the Eichen patient pleaded.

"But it's worth something to you, so you're not getting it for free." Brooklyn jabbed, pointing a finger at the man with a third eye.

"What does the book do?" Lydia asked strongly.

"Tell us." Stiles demanded.

"I told you. It opens your eyes." Valack replied.

Brooke quirked an eyebrow, "How?"

"It triggers the memory centres of the brain, clearing the fog and bringing the images of the Dread Doctors into focus." the Eichen patient rushed out, his words becoming faster as he got more desperate. "I wrote the book in an effort to find out if anyone else like me had ever seen them before. I thought I could circulate it, an effort to trigger someone... anyone else's memory."

Brooklyn glanced back down the corridor as the oncoming Dread Doctor's footsteps grew louder and closer. "They'd see the cover, a hint of memory..." Valack continued, "They pick up the book, read it.  The suppressed memories surface, and they'd find their way to me to discover more. Just like you did."

"Did it work with anyone else?" Stiles asked the man.

"You didn't see it on The New York Times Best Seller list, did you?" the Eichen patient fired back.

"So all we have to do is read the book?" Brooklyn checked.

"If you've seen them, if they've done something to you, then the books will help you remember. Now give me what I want." Valack snapped.

Lydia reached out a slightly shaky hand to Stiles, silently asking for the recorder. With a final glance at Valack, the Stilinski shook his head and begrudgingly put the device in the banshee's hand.

Stiles and Brooke took a couple steps back and covered their ears as Lydia let out an almighty scream into the device. She quickly shoved the device back into the slot for Valack and said to him, "Tell us what they want."

"Lydia, I think we need to get out of here." Stiles muttered to her. The Dread Doctors were very close now, too close for comfort, they could tell by the relentless sounds they made. And now, alarms also blared from every speaker and intercom.

The strawberry blonde didn't budge, though, and kept her attention on Valack. "What are they trying to do?" she shouted.

"Read the book." Valack instructed. "Anyone who's come into contact with them."

"Lydia, we gotta go. Now." Brooklyn huffed. She and Stiles finally managed to drag the banshee away and took off down the corridor they came from.

Just before they turned the corner Brooke heard Valack call, "Read the book!" in one last attempt.

The three carried on running. They then heard the Dread Doctors' heavy footfalls from only the next corridor they were to turn down so they ducked into an empty room. They ran to the back corner, pushing themselves up against the tiles.

Stiles held Lydia to his chest, Brooklyn right beside them using the most amount of room they could without being seen. They tried to quieten their breathing as the Dread Doctors were walking past the door of the room they were in. Brooklyn brought her fist to her mouth as Stiles clutched Lydia tighter to him. They were only able to relax again when the doctors completely passed by them without a fuss.